Saturday 18 March 2023

From StuartL - Final entry for my various duels - 198 Points

Hello all,

This is my final post for the challenge, and I have been working hard to clear my work space, finish off a few bits and pieces and add a couple of final points to my various duels totals. During the course of the challenge, I was involved in three duels, Skullz, Squirrels and Turnips. So, lets see how I got on.

TURNIP DUEL
    
    I had planned to finish off my first force of Turnip28 by the end of the challenge, but sadly I am still 1 Toff and 1 Unit away. I also had an idea for a second force, but sadly didn't have time to assemble and convert the models let alone paint them. So, for the Turnip duel, I have no more points to add. :(

SQUIRREL DUEL

    I have been able to get a few more Squirrels done and off my desk over the past week or so, most of them were halfway done and just needed those last few licks of paint to get them over the finish line.


First of all, some Chaos Marines for my 40K Iron Warriors force. I figure that these are different enough from regular marines to count. Being chaotic renegades, they come packed with skulls, 19 in total.


Next up, a squad of 10 Night Goblins. These diminutive fellows are from one of the Warhammer Fantasy starter boxes, Battle of Skull Pass I believe. They are single piece minis but they are super cool. I really wish I had more of these as they were fun to paint and look awesome. Note the musician has a skull atop his gong. 


These two mannequins are animated constructs for the Showgirls crew for Malifaux.


I painted the three models at the back as payments for trips in Lady Sarah's Limousine a couple of weeks back. The addition of the mannequins means that they now qualify as a full Squirrel point.


The start of a new project for me, 5 USMC for 'Nam. My local model shop (not a games store, a dedicated scale model shop) has started to stock Rubicon models, so I picked up a bunch of marines, some VC and a huey. I plan to work more on these over the summer. The plastic is not the usual type and needs some fancy glue, but they paint up quickly. The detail is a little fine in places, but I like how they look.


These five elves are from a company called Mirliton Miniatures based in Italy. They are pretty old now, I have had them for about 20 years. They are very reminiscent of old citadel minis. These will be used for Saga: Age of Magic.

So, that is 5 Squirrels and there should be one more Squirrel below.

SKULL DUEL

Honestly, the Squirrel Duel has kept me away from painting up many skulls this challenge. I had a large undead army and a ton more Space Marines (and all their tiny skullicious iconography) sat in the 'to-do' pile, but as I couldn't claim any more Squirrel points after painting the first five of each, they have languished there throughout the challenge. As mentioned above, there are 20 Skulls so far in this post, plus a few more below.


This archway is from Reaper Minis. I'll probably end up using it in a D&D game when I need to mark an important exit in a dungeon. The back of the arch is totally blank, but the front has 5 lovely skulls to add to my tally.

582 Skullz


50 Skullz

342 Skullz


154 Skullz


35 Skullz

The above are all terrain kits from GW from around 2006 I think, with the exception of the final piece which is slightly newer.
All of the above including the archway and the skullz on the models in the Squirrel section comes to 1188 Skullz.

The central panel has 46 skulls, with 8 more on either side of it, 7 underneath it and 2 on the back.

As well as the central skull, there are 4 more tiny skulls, picked out in bronze.

There are even skulls in the ceiling.

Each panel measures 2 inches by 3 inches.

For the measurements of these ruins, I have ignored the balconies on top and any odd outcroppings or pillars.
The first building is 8"x6"x6" = 288 cubic inches.
The second building is 2"x2"x3" = 12 cubic inches.
The third building is 8"x2"x6" = 96 cubic inches.
The fourth building is 6"x2"x6" = 72 cubic inches.
The fifth building is 2"x3"x9" = 54 cubic inches.
Total = 522 cubic inches = 2.4 Challenge Terrain Cubes, and more than enough points for a Squirrel

And finally, I have just one more mini to post. 


This fish seller is going to pay for one final trip in Lady Sarah's Limousine to take me out of the studios in style. Having spent the last three months travelling very short distances in a very large car, I am planning to do what any real Hollywood celebrity would do, lecture people on being more environmentally friendly!



My final additions to my score are:
18x 28mm models @5 points = 90 Points
10x 20mm goblins @4 points = 40 Points
2.4x Terrain cubes @20 points = 48 Points
1x Limo ride @20 points = 20 Points
Final Total = 198 Points

For my side duels.
Squirrels +6 - 47
Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Dwarves, Fire Giants, WW2 Polish, Daemons, Viridians, Vasa, Junkers, Turnips, Necrons, Tau, Genestealers, WW2 Japanese, Teutonics, Lizardmen, Gnolls, Arabs, Space Marines, Kung Fu Chinese, Wolf's Dragoons, Merfolk, Fishmen, Fish, Mummies, Greek Myth, Peasants, Desert Terrain, Guild, WW2 Africans, WW2 French, WW2 Germans, WW2 Russians, DKoK, Sengoku Fantasy, Fantasy Zombies, Undead Pirates, Blood Bowl Orcs, AWI British, Modern Zombies, Skaven, Iron Warriors, Goblins, Showgirls, USMC, Wood Elves, 40K Terrain

Skullz +1188 - 1575

Turnips - 115 Points 


See you all in the Challenge Review Posts

________________________________________

This is an excellent Challenge wrap-up, Stuart. I really enjoyed your Turnip28 entries, and am delighted to have another rootish commander in our little community. My favourties of this group has to be your Night Goblins and the dancing mannequin constructs.  Soo creepy and cool. 

Thank you again, for all your diligent work being our Saturday Minion. You helped keep this crazy, shambling monstrosity of a Challenge on the straight and narrow. Cheers mate!

- Curt

7 comments:

  1. It is a good feeling to lose the Skullz Duel in style. :) I had one other skull bomb planned myself, but didn't have time for that and it would not have helped me anyway. Fabulous ruins and your fish seller would look good opposed to those fine night gobboes. :) Lovely stuff, see you in December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that’s a ton of skullz. Great way to end up

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s quite a coup de grace! I love the building with the gold details, but your fish seller is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid skull bomb, nice goblins,elves and space marines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete