Saturday 23 December 2023

From Curt: Gnomish Airship for Moonstone (35 Points)

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are enjoying the Holiday Season, taking in the treats and festivities, and perhaps managing to tuck in a little time with the brushes and paints. 

Last night out gaming group had a Christmas-themed game of Moonstone which, as usual, was a lot of great fun. I was hoping to have this entry done for the game, but it just wasn't quite ready for the tabletop, so I got up early this morning to properly finish it off. 


This is the 'Gnomish Airship' for Moonstone (one of our proud Challenge sponsors). It's a lovely little model, packed full of whimsical character and silliness (who can deny an pedal-powered airship, armed with a steam harpoon and bombs). I painted it up using fairly punchy colours, reasoning that Gnomes are a jolly lot and so would like their flying machines to be much the same.

I considered breaking out the airbrush for this little brute, but frankly I was just too lazy (rum and eggnog are good sandbags to activity) and the model actually seemed well-suited to straightforward brushwork. I used a mixture of VMC, Contrast and good ole craft paint for this. It was a lot of fun to work on (though it's a surprisingly delicate piece, so I had to be mindful).


The base was built up with foam bits, liquitex and tallus. I had some great mushroom prints on hand, which I glued in for a bit of additional whimsy.

The Airship will be a nice addition to the Gnome troupe and I hope to see it plying the skies, causing mayhem, during our next game.

Mama Grimble, her two Boys and the new Gnome Airship.

________________________________

As to scoring, I'll pitch it at 15 points, between a 28mm cavalry model and a vehicle, which seems about right. Since it is for a fantastical setting, I'll also be bold and claim an extra 20 points for the 'Fantasy Book' topic. So all together that's 35 points in the bag for this clever bit of Gnomish engineering.


Thanks for popping in for a look!

- Curt


40 comments:

  1. Splendid looking piece of gnomish aerospace kit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needs more root vegetable extra I think… 😂😂. Good job sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I think there's a radish in the groundwork there somewhere. Perhaps more on that later. :)

      Delete
  3. Cracking job on this. You can never have too many dirigibles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and very flavorful paint job on the gnomish airship. The mushrooms on the base add a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! Yes, I enjoyed making good use of some 3d printed mushrooms I had deep in my stores. ;)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. Love the fantasy base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some superior looking air superiority. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. This year will be the year of 'shrooms for me. We could almost have a parallel contest with the skulls, I think!

      Delete
    2. Skulls, squirrels or 'shrooms, that's the question. :)

      Delete
  8. Very nice Curt! We're also fans of Moonstone here in Hamburg. It's a great little game. Very whimsical, but with some depth to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed! Yes, it's a game that is very subtle in its depth.

      Delete
  9. Ooh thanks just whiz bang ducky Curt. Love the harpoon (or is it a ram?). The flatulent frog better watch out. I can’t believe that said that and yet it makes sense in Moonstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter! It's a harpoon, no less! Should be a neat addition for our upcoming games.

      Delete
  10. Crazy and excellent figure. Enjoy the shrooms basing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool looking Airship Curt 🎅👍

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful Curt and the base is superb mate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an inspired little airship, the basing is also very good Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delightful model and great painting as usual Curt! Love the fungal base too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cool love the models, love the painting they will stand out on a table for sure

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neat looking piece I must say Curt, much better than a sod or turnip!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Now the gauntlet (parsnip) has been dropped...

      Delete
  17. Great model, I love the colourful basing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Second the comment above ..... brilliant work. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete