Tuesday 26 December 2023

From SimonM: Temporal Traveller by "Crooked Dice Game Design" + New Acquisition Bonus (25 points)


This 28mm scale white metal figure is sold by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" as SKU: MINI 1652 Temporal Traveller 15. Sculpted by Ernst Veingart, the model is clearly inspired by actor Ncuti Gatwa's fifteenth incarnation of the Doctor, as seen in some of the BBC promotional photographs publicising the upcoming new season of “Doctor Who”.

The miniature was primed using a couple of coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and shaded using "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade. The Gallifreyan was then dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Blue, before having his jacket buttons, hair, moustache, eyebrows and shoes 'picked out' with "Citadel" Abaddon Black. I did strongly consider applying some thin stripes over the suit, and even gave one of the Timelord's sleeves a test run. But such a delicate touch is most definitely not my forte, so in the end I opted for a plainer, yet saner, all-blue costume.

I did however manage to apply a little "Two Thin Coats" White Star and "Vallejo" Pale Grey to the Doctor's shirt, as well as a combination of Amethyst Rayne by "Two Thin Coats" and "Citadel" Druchii Violet to his tie. Lastly, I used some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna for the model's face and hands, shaded these in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, and applied a few highlights with a smidgeon extra of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna.

Considering that the miniature is one of the Lincolnshire-based company's latest releases, and is based upon the new Doctor Who, I thought it would make an excellent subject for my visit to the New Acquisitions area in the Challenge Library.

One x 28mm scale foot figure = 5 Points

New Acquisitions Bonus = 20 Points

Total = 25 Points

___________________________________

It wouldn't be a Challenge without some Dr Who and who better to raise the standard than our SimonM! :)

Great work on this refreshingly new take on the Temporal Traveller. I agree that pinstripes can be hellaciously difficult to pull off, but he cuts quite the dash in a classic dark blue suit with white collar and tie.  Very dapper and a great choice for New Acquisitions!

- Curt


27 comments:

  1. Well done. I will have to put that on my list for my next CD order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Lots of great temporal travellers in the CD range now, imho.

      Delete
  2. Got to say I love this entry great first entry, I wonder what's up next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Simon. The blue suit looks fine without the pinstripes, I think those would be a nightmare to paint properly. As it is, he looks suitably well dressed to deal with any daleks, cybermen or other horrors that come his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. For my sanity's sake I thought I'd give the thin stripes a miss. :-)

      Delete
  4. Nothing like a “Sharp dressed man”. Fits the bill perfectly. Nicely done and pin stripes are a pain. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. Love the casual pose on the figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. The pose seems to have been captured from the publicity photograph. It's a great sculpt, imho.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking doctor!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, and thanks for sharing your recipe, I always really appreciate that. I never seem able to remember mine…

    ReplyDelete