Tuesday 26 December 2023

From AndrewB: First Entry! Runners, WWI, and a Wizard! Overdue, Historical, Fantasy (287pts)

Hello again everyone!   Excited to be back for another great year of the AHPC!   

I’ve got lots of projects to get work finished on, but I really enjoy the challenges, and the Library has tons of rooms, so time to jump on in!  I started with Fantasy! I’ve had this old suspiciously Gandalf looking figure for quite some time, and he certainly shouted out to me, so I did a quick hybrid speedpaint/traditional job to get him onto the gaming table soon!   I’m still working on making this technique so what I want, but it’s pretty solid for good Tabletop standards that I’m usually happy with   


If anyone has any idea who manufactured this figure, let me know!  I’m sure it’s out of production now, but I really like it. 

Next, for the big chunk of 15mm I’ve plowed through in the past couple days! For the History room, I grabbed some 1910-early WWI folks based for FoW, as a part of a fun project you all will get to see as the weeks tick by!   These are from Peter Pig, admittedly my first from the storied company, and I’m quite delighted by them!  There’s some Highlanders in their khaki kilts, some RN shore party (which I made the completely wrong blue, but it’s a ‘what if’ campaign anyways), and a couple bases of trench raiders   Flanking the two command stands and sharpshooters, I have three heavy machine guns, and a block of eleven bases of infantry!

I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to get through these guys, but I pleasantly surprised myself!   

Highlanders and RN

Tench raiders(in an unadapted test scheme), MGs, and the HQ troops

Block of infantry!  And an MG

Lastly, a group photo!   Please excuse the improvised Photo Booth, space limitations prevent me from building a proper place to take large photos.


My final count for the 15s is 101!   Painted those on the bases to return to my roots painting FoW at 18, what a mistake!  Putting figures on sticks is the way to go, and I’ll be doing that the rest of the 15s I paint in the coming months! Everything’s based with the excellent products from Geek Gaming, who are some of my favorites for hobby supplies.   

Lastly for this post, a quick session on Christmas Eve is gonna complete the Overdue room!   I’ve had these four runner models for a few years now, not sure what I wanted to do with them, but recently played in a game put on by Thomas Foss of Skull and Crown, which was more of a race than a war game.  Boom, racers for a generic setting, where players will be running for something, yet to be determined.  



The different pants will be how the players (hopefully some younger/newer gamers) will keep track of their fig. 

Running along for now!   More next week!

Gandalf as a 28mm is five points, with the fantasy room bringing his subtotal to 25pts.  The 101 15mm minis plus the historical room will bring their subtotal to 222pts!  The fun runners are 28mm, with the overdue room totaling them to 40pts.   Hot dang, we’re on our way with 287 and a strong start!  Will upload my progress picture with the library on my next post!  

_________________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge, Andrew! 

You're opening gambit is a nice blitz through the first Section.You can never have enough Gandalfs I say, and this chunky model of unknown provenance is a wonder example of the breed. I particularly like his lustrous beard - it reminds me of Ralph Bakshi's rendition of the Grey Wizard. I also look forward to watching your 15mm WWI project unfold - the test stands look the business. Well done!

- Curt


13 comments:

  1. Nice points bomb and and congrats with a great start to the comp, I have a pile of 18mm Westphalians I need to do maybe like yourself I should get onto them, love the Gandalf figure, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start to the challenge. That is quite the horde of 15's you've got there. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points bomb, I really like your old school Gandalf!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boom entry that, I think it is a Games Workshop 80s Gandalf style wizard.

    Attacking 15mm myself this year, be interested how much faster it is for Napoleonics

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Andrew. PP are some of my favourite 15s. They're the perfect blend of detail and solidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Gandalf, Andrew! You'll reach your target in a month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very characterful Gandalf! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mash up of stuff, welcome to the Challenge 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work. Really like the wiz and those 15s

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff; I’m most intrigued by the runners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That’s not knocking on the door, that’s kicking it right in! Great Gandalf and I love your Tommies, good show!

    ReplyDelete