Friday 19 January 2024

From GeoffreyT: Assault on the rotunda. (Maritime, DIY, Literature, Travel, 149 points)

Hello Challengers,

I resume my library trek in the central room, where I tackle the Maritime section.

This rather odd miniature is from Mammoth Miniatures and cast in resin.  I don’t know what it is, but importantly the sculpt was made from shells recovered from the Thames Estuary, as such I consider it Maritime.  I loved the concept of the shell made miniature and could not resist this random purchase.  It is about 40mm scale.  I guess estuarine shells are 'inshore' and not 'offshore', but close enough match Dewey’s shelf classification I hope.



From the central room I move east into the rotunda main level, perusing shelves as I go.  The first is DIY, where I paint three miniatures I sculpted myself from epoxy putties.  They are 'caucasian zombie hunters in summer attire'.  A bearded man armed with a beer gut and chainsaw, a teen with a bat and bin-lid and a youth riding a skateboard with an over and under shotgun, grinding a hand rail.  They are 28mm scale. 



Also in the rotunda we find the Literature section, where '10,000 words will do'.  This immediately made me think of Tolstoy's war and peace, therefore I have 8 Napoleonic Russian figures from Northstar Miniatures ‘The Silver Bayonet’ range which could fit said book nicely.  Admittedly, I already have far more of this range than I can practically use, but they are such fine figures I cannot resist them.  No doubt I will buy whatever comes out with every new supplement.




After completing the rotunda lower level, I now climb to the summit, and go to the Travel section.

Here I have a vignette of a travel experience, with me waiting patiently for a plane whilst flanked by recalcitrant vending machines.  These pieces were second hand and I don't know their source, so I cannot credit the sculptor sorry.


The library now as stands, with me standing in the rotunda.



Points:

1 x 40mm infantry = 7 points

12 x 28mm infantry = 60 points

2 x widgets = 2 points

4 library topics (Maritime, DIY, Literature,Travel) = 80 points 

Total points for this post = 149 points and 1 skull (raising Skullz tally to 5)

Kind Regards

Geoff.

From Millsy: This must be one of the most eclectic and interesting posts this year Geoff! Its packed full of all sorts of weird and interesting stuff, all beautifully painted to boot. Your rendition of yourself at the airport is absolutely hilarious and something I suspect many of us can empathise with.

Great too see someone else has dived right in to Silver Bayonet and not held back, although I'm not sure I understand what you mean about having too much stuff :-P

149 points for your tally mate!

9 comments:

  1. Eclectic to say the least ! Wonderful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely bonkers, but fantastic. Appreciating the inspiration for the Silver Bayonet (having a few boxes tucked away in the pile).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is a mixed bag if there is one. That strange shell creature. Zombies. Silver Bayonet. Airport. I guess the shell creature could find a home in Silver Bayonet games and those zombies can create some action on the airport... :) I like your cartoonish-approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL love them all. I feel I’ve been the guy in the airport, and maybe the geezer with the chainsaw….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments. Yes indeed I do have a wide range of interests in miniatures, the pseudo historicals and weird monsters are my favourites for sure tho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on this variety showing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful work Geoff. Many ranges and I too love the Silver Bayonet range. Well done.




    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Geoff, the home sculpts are great - you should get a telly for the skelly next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Extra points for sculpting stuff yourself ! Awesome collection of figures 👍

    ReplyDelete