Friday 19 January 2024

From AlanD - Historical and Statuesque Cataphracts (140 points)


Hello everyone!

This week I have been mostly painting a box of Gripping Beast late Roman Cataphracts. I quite like these figures, although putting them together was a bit irritating. I also have a gripe with one of the horse poses, as when you look closely none of its hooves are actually on the ground. As far as I'm aware, horses never run like this, unless they are jumping over something, and they certainly don't when trotting along covered in horse armour with a big armoured bloke sitting on them. Maybe they are some sort of hover tank.


Anyway, I'm please with how they came out, and they should give my third- and fourth-century Roman armies a bit of punch.


I'll have a go at cheekily claiming 20 bonus points in addition to the 120 points for the 12 cavalry. So far, I have completed New Acquisitions and Overdue in the first section. I'm happy to (boringly) claim these as History, also in section 1, but if Millsy goes to the pub early this Friday he might consider giving me 20 points in Section 2 instead for a 'Statue of a Famous Person.'

Let me explain.

The weak point of my petition is the 'famous person' bit. However! I can make a good claim for the 'statue' bit. The appearance of cataphracts and clibanarii impressed late-Roman observers with their polished all-encompassing armour, so that at least two authors that I'm aware of (Ammianus Marcellinus and the emperor Julian) explicitly compared them to living statues. Most famously, Ammianus described the heavily armoured cavalry that accompanied Constantius II as '...cavalry with cuirasses, whom the Persians call Clibanarii, protected by coverings of iron breast-plates, and girdled with belts of iron, so that you would fancy them statues polished by the hand of Praxiteles, rather than men.'

As always, I bow to Millsy's sagacity and innate sense of justice. Have a nice weekend all!

From Millsy: You smooth talking devil Alan! It's rare that I have to Google something someone says about me and it is flattering, so if nothing else that inclines me to let you sneak this in under the statues category in the Library.

I've been waiting to see these since you spoke about them last week on the chat. A couple of the horse poses do indeed look like they are floating which is a bit odd. Hopefully that doesn't make them too fragile. Poses aside your brushwork is superb mate, especially the iconic striped lances and coloured horse furniture. A beautiful unit all up and I'm sure they will give Paul a few scares.

140 points for your tally sir!

23 comments:

  1. They look awesome mate - well worth the pain of assembling them (and that was a colourful paint and chat session!)

    And yes I'm suitably terrified of what these will do to my fine bodies of men...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Alan, they look the business

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful looking unit - should scare their enemy alright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrifying on the field I’m sure, nice job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking heavies Alan. I believe that your quite right on the horses hooves, seems to me there was a bet about this was lead to the development of motion pictures. You’re pushing it on statues but that’s Millsy’s call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to ask, hoof issues aside how do you rate this kit compared to other GB or Victrix kits? Been mean8ng to pick up some living statues myself.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter! I liked them more than I thought I would when I started assembling them. I haven't seen the Victrix figures, but judging from the photos the horses are much better and you could achieve more dynamic poses. The Victrix ones do seem to be more clearly focused on thelate fourth century, while some of the GB heads allow the cataphracts to be a bit earlier. I used some heads from the GB heavy cavalry box as well, as I don't love all the ones that come with the cataphracts. Compared to metal GB they seem a bit more animated. If I was doing a C4th Roman army and hadn't already bought these, I would probably get the Victrix ones. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    3. Good to know, they’d fit right into my collection nicely. I find both the GB and Victrix sets to be worth getting.

      Delete
  6. Brilliantly painted hover horses! The lances are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine hobby work, matched only by the dizzying spin work to claim the bonus points...the partners at my firm would be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chop the legs off and put them on perspex flight stands. Vroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb work Alan and the lance stripes are top notch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking unit, who doesn't love a bit of Heavy Cavalry 😍

    ReplyDelete