Friday 19 January 2024

From Paul O'G More Caesarians! (145 points)

Building on last week's expansion of my Caesarian Roman force, this week I am adding another 2 units, and a Commander.

The Command stand is a great Aventine sculpt - a Legate focused on Crushing His Enemies and Seeing them Driven before Him, for the Glory of Caesar!

These two units (with 11 figs each) were prepared similarly to my submission last week - veterans with some mismatched gear and dynamically based on 120mm frontage. They are a mix of Warlord and Wargames Factory Romans (OOP) - the latter aren't nearly as nice but do the job for troop bases like these.

Our weekly Antipodean paint and chats have been great to build some momentum and catch up with a bunch of Aussie and Kiwi challengers, and see friends old and new. However, Kent was even more helpful this week - while I was looking for tips for  the leopard skin pelt on the standard bearer, I stumbled cross his tutorial at his YouTube channel- thanks mate! Here is the full 30min video it is for those who seek to emulate him better than me!


I hope I haven't embarrassed your tutorial Kent!

Added to last week's output my veteran Legionaries look thus

And all my Legionaries massed up are starting to look rather imposing (I hope!)


Points Wise that is 25 x 28mm figs @ 5 points each for a total of 125 points. No bonuses for hand painted shields last week so I didn't bother with any this week!!!  :-)  but I was quite happy with how the vexillum came out.

I've done the History section so am looking to file this in the Children's section because Wikipedia says: 

"The Eagle of the Ninth is a historical adventure novel for children written by Rosemary Sutcliff"

Maybe its a bit of a stretch but Alan's logic for his bonus was far weaker so I reckon its a fair cop! :-)

From Millsy: More wonderful Romans to expand your army Paul! The leopard skin has come out really well and you've certainly not embarrassed Kent with your efforts. A book about Romans written for kids seems a legit argument for the Children's section so no problem with the bonus from my POV.

33 comments:

  1. What a grand project Paul, love the leopard and that you've linked us to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded! Great work and the leopard spot tutorial will be really help when I paint Sanguinius from the Horus Heresy.

      Delete
  2. Good looking Romans and your army is starting to look like an army. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu - here is something about breaking the hundred figs ceiling that does that!

      Delete
  3. Excellent project in progress Paul. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Romans Paul, love the freehand shields! I’ve not got the cajones for leopard skin so salute your efforts! Eagle of the Ninth is a classic and not just for kids, I listened to the audio last summer doing yard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An enduring classic indeed. Leopard skin isnt my comfort spot to be sure but I wanted to try something new and add some different colours to the army (at least from my usual viewing angle!)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous work Paul (and Kent)! Your Caesarians look fabulous in all their dotted glory and otherwise. That being said, you could have at least photoshopped in IX on the legio standard if you were claiming 'The Eagle of the Ninth' connection. Slacker. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt and yes thats a fair cop. However, the 2 veteran legions have been painted as Legios VII and X, which are the 2 legions Caesar took to Brittania. Which has nothing to do with Mary Sutcliffe and everything to do with Reilly wanting to do a force of Britons to fight them :-)

      Delete
  6. Curt beat me to the same comment about the legion - but if you haven’t actually read that book you really should, it was one of my favourites growing up - the 1970s BBC mini series was also pretty good, the 2011 Channing Tatum film less so. Anyway great legionnaires, I wish I was anything like as productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - didnt know about the miniseries, I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  7. Great work. Aventine are fantastic sculpts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - yes there are and I have a few more up my sleeve yet...

      Delete
  8. Aventine are lovely figures Paul and that's a great looking army

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work Paul - It has been great seeing your army grow so rapidly and look so good. The Eagle of the Ninth was the book that started me down the path of obsession with the ancient world. I always regret not writing to Rosemary Sutcliffe to thank her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - cant wait to put them onto the table against yours! And then I can consider what went wrong...:-)

      I would suggest that you aren't alone. Ms Sutcliffe's influence is hard to measure, but significant across a whole generation.

      Delete
  10. Magnificent en masse, and that leopard skin is superb. If that big cat could tell a story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...he would, I'm sure, say "Hail Caesar - down with that Pompey fellow!" :-)

      Thanks mate!

      Delete
  11. Your legion force is definetly imposing. Love how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful painting here! Looking the biz when all ranked up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent force Paul and great brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cracking on nicely through these Romans 👍

    ReplyDelete