Thursday 15 February 2024

From BruceR: Library stack Romance, Duelist, Zulu leaders [Famous Person] (70 points)

Venturing once again into the library I was not certain I could find a reasonable model or models to represent the Romance Stack.  Maybe pushing the limits, with this stretch, yet they wear appropriate dress.  I give you Father Guido Sarduchi (old SNL skit if not mistaken) and his side kicks, Alphonse and Pedro.  In defense of my submission they wear appropriate valentines day garb, for males anyway, and have what might be seen as an unhealthy “love” of their beliefs.  Hopefully no offense taken.

These are Trench Worx I picked up at Acon last year.  I’d seen them on somebody’s blog in a scenario and new I needed them.  I’m an avid reader and listener, with the Sharpes’ books giving me many ideas for SP2 scenarios in the Peninsular war.  There just happens to be a book with some surviving inquisitionists still lurking about Spain. 

So, here they are using a simple contrast red highlighted with a British uniform orange.  Faces done with a couple of highlights.  They will be great villains in any scenario, sans the googles on the punk helmet. 





My next model was to be a famous person and than I looked more closely at the library map and the stack was a statue of a famous person.  Strike the room bonus.  Here is a famous person to me.  Here again I was in search of a certain model, a female hussar, someone had posted on there blog.  I found her at Gringo 40s.  If I’m paying shipping a few more are needed so I purchased a few others as extra.  As a famous person, I give you General Fournier-Sarloveze, the officer that Harvey Keitel played in "The Duelist".  He was real person with an amazing story, a 'rabid' duelist' who fought 30 duels with Dupont over 19 years.  So, a Napoleonic General with a movie to his credit and a very enjoyable movie, in my opinion. 






He will do nicely as some dandy in scenarios, of course challenging all comers to a duel.

Staying on movies, I'm back to Zulu after my ACW distraction.  Warrior leaders this time.  15 pack of old glory and again my version of the 3' rule.  Adding some highlights and relying on the shields to make them pop.





Total:

The Love Story stack                20 pts
4 28mm @5                              20 pts
15 15mm @2                            30 pts

Total                                            70 pts

Keep at it all and enjoy everybody's work.

Bruce

TeemuL: Navigating through the Library is not an easy task, topic name and description might have some controversies and then it is down to the minions to sort everything out. :) But no worries, I can handle this. As a rule of thumb, if the challenger admits that he might be stretching a bit, then he usually is, and even though it was Valentine's Day yesterday, I won't pass your Romance. However, the Famous Person is not that clear either and during the Challenge we have seen both famous persons and statues on this topic, and because it was Valentine's Day yesterday (Friend Day in Finland) I'll give you the Famous Person location bonus. Your point total is the same, you have two ready topics on the section and it makes me sleep better. :)

But after the calculations, semantics, mathemagicks and bureacracy, let's take a look at those minis. The red garbs are stunning, very bright and eye catching. Fournier-Sarloveze is equally stunning, very nice and bright green for example. Excellent! The Zulu warrios have nice shields, but don't let that fool you, they are finely painted all together.

11 comments:

  1. Old SNL sketch? I refer sir back further to a certain Monty Python sketch that nobody expected! Tis enough to rancor oneself to challenge a duel! Seriously though, lovely work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that must be the first time anyone considered the Inquisition romantic! However, I love the figures, the one with the goggles in particular. And the duellist is great too, with a fine story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tremendous brushwork Bruce! Can't say that I would see the romance in the inquisition...but wow, they are cool sculpts and you really nailed the red. And who cannot love the Duelist? Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, love the Zulus. Epic double fail on the Romance (wrong skit and rejected by the minion)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the old “as I’m paying postage already, I might as well buy more figures to make it feel cheaper” eh? I’m a sucker for that one myself!

    Nice figures too, that duellist is ace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Bring out the fluffy cushions ! Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work but I'd tread lightly with Catholic priests in the "Romance" stack. Most of the Romance they're popularly known for is... non-consensual

    ReplyDelete
  8. man those reds are fantastic, you painting on all the figures is top notch, my favorite would be the Zulu's, another great entry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some fantastic figures Bruce. Love the Spanish Inquisition figures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work on the reds, and the Zulus do 'pop'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That duelist is really top notch Bruce!

    ReplyDelete