Thursday 22 February 2024

From MartijnN: 32mm Viking Shield-maidens (30 points)

Just a quick post from me today, no library location. I have painted up some darn daunting damsels, who will likely cause a lot more distress than experiencing it. Here are six Viking shield-maidens:

They are 32mm “Heroic”  3D printed figures designed by Iain Lovecraft. He is definitely one of my favourite designers, and I think I have STL files for almost all the figures he has made. Although some of his ranges are now also produced in metal by Sally 4th, all mine are 3D printed. On the one hand 3D sculpting is a blessing, the figures produced today are absolutely fabulous, but on the other hand the painting becomes not really any easier. These Viking ladies, from the Lovecraft Viking Saga series, are fantastic, but there is always one more belt, buckle, strap or bag to paint!

The photos leave something to be desired, I really should try to get a better technique or get more out of my Iphone, but there are only so many hobbies one can get into. Anyway, I again used mostly contrast paints on these and I am happy how they turned out. They will go together nicely with the Vikings I painted during the last Challenge.

No location, so no map, but I do have a book recommendation. The actual historical evidence for the existence of Viking woman warriors seems to be shaky to say the least, but the Vikings are fascinating anyway. You could do worse than reading John Haywood’s Northmen : The Viking Saga, AD 793-1241.

I have read this in the Dutch translation, (which I do not usually do when I can read the original language, but it was a present), so it is harder to comment on the style, but I found it an enjoyable read. Haywood takes us on a journey through time essentially by region, so there are chapters on the viking presence in England, France, the Mediterranean, Russia etc., but in broad chronological order. It focuses on "traditional" history, so no art, customs and the like (although there is a useful introduction on the Viking world view). The book is very much aimed at the general public (surely the popular TV-series had nothing to do with it?), so no footnotes, but there are some useful appendices like a timeline, lists of Kings and of translations of source material. A good read all in all.

Scoring is easy:

6x 28/32mm foot @ 5 = 30 points

Next week we will continue our trek through the Library!

TeemuL: Lovely maidens, Martijn! I was supposed to paint some Vikings during this Challenge, too, but it seems that I have sidetracked... I guess you are true with your 3d printing wisdom, the amount of details could be quite high, but it seems you have picked up at least most of them. Lovely minis and your math is correct, too. See you next week in the Library!

20 comments:

  1. Lovely painting. Those are really nice figures - I can see why you like Iain's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, all his sculpts are very good I think.

      Delete
  2. wonderful post the figures look really great who doesn't like a few crazed Viking shield maidens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent shield maidens Martijn. Lovely brush work and the models wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fearsome sheild maidens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great figures Martijn. I especially like the skin tone you achieved. What specific colour combination is that? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! Funny you should say that, cause I struggled quite a bit and am not entirely happy with the result. However, generally a white zenithal over a black undercoat, Gulliman Flesh, Agrax Earthshade, and for the faces/ knuckles etc. then a bit of Kislev flesh and Reikland fleshshade.

      Delete
  6. I've got some Viking maidens in the pile somewhere - keeping these images as inspiration if you don't mind.
    RichardM

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely figures and painting Martjin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great figures Martijn, haven't read the book but will put it on the list.

    ReplyDelete