Friday 9 February 2024

From StuartL - A Simple Wooden Shack - DIY & Sarah's Library Cart - 60 Points

Hello again,

    For my second post today, I have an entry for the DIY section of the Library. In May, I am running an event for my local players and a few gamers from out of town. As 40K is the most popular gaming system locally, that is what will take centre-stage at the event. (Even though I don't like or play the current edition). As the organiser, I have to prepare terrain for the event, but as I need a lot of it, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
    So, I have been raiding my bits box for parts and combining them with some cheaper materials to build some quick and simple buildings and ruins.


    The building itself is a large wooden box I picked up at my local 100 yen (about $1) store. The box is glued down to some foamboard (from the same store) and a layer of torn up cork tiles (same store again) has been placed around the base of the building. I then used some spare bits from an old GW Cities of Death terrain kit to make it look more 40K. The basing style I have used actually matches my 30K armies rather than my 40K armies as I intend to use this terrain in my home games too.


    I need to make about a dozen more buildings like this by early May, so my painting has been similarly cheap and simple. After a quick spray from a rattle can, I painted everything with some grey paint from the same store as the box and then drybrushed with some beige. After that, I mixed up a wash using some cheap reddish-brown paint and washed the whole thing. After that I simply painted in the metallics and gave them a wash, though I did use Vallejo for that part.


    The building is about 8 inches long (not counting the small supports), 5 inches wide and 4 high, for a total of 160 cubic inches, or about 3/4 of a terrain cube.

    I still have one more post today, so I will need to take a Library Cart over to the Manga section, to help pay my fare, I have another 3d Printed cyberpunk mini from Unit 9.


    I have bought several of Unit9's STL files as I really like the style and design of the characters. While I don't have my own printer, I find that having the files saved means I can get them printed whenever I need a particular figure for a project.


And for my score for this section.
1 x 160 Cubic Inch terrain piece = 15 points.
1 x 28mm mini = 5 points.
DIY section = 20 points
Sarah's Library Cart = 20 points
TOTAL = 60 points

For my duels:
Skulls (394) +32= 426


From Millsy: You can never have too much terrain Stuart especially as someone who organises and puts on games for others. Kudos to you for making the effort! 60 more points added to your tally mate.

9 comments:

  1. A very effective use of spare bits. Looks sturdy enough for gamers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work DIYing the building. I'm will Millsy, can't have enough terrain options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've grimdarkified the box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the DYI 40k building! I like how you pulled together a few kit pieces with simple materials and good color choices to make a unique terrain piece that captures the grim dark 40k feel.

    ReplyDelete