Thursday 8 February 2024

From Kerry T - Italian wars light cavalry (120 points)

Morning, afternoon & evening all

A quick post I hope because if I'm quick enough I might get another entry finished!

One goal I set myself for this challenge was to try and add some cavalry to my Italian Wars project. So far I've only managed to knock off some Casting Room Jinettes. I have more Gendarmes, Knights and light cavalry waiting but got sidetracked

This entry again shows the versatility of plastic figures. These are from the Perry Miniatures Light Cavalry 1450- 1500 box

You'll notice they are wearing funny hats called mazzocchios apparently. I read (in the Perry box) that they were stuffed rolls of fabric generally placed over barbutes. This was apparently peculiar to Italy in the mid 15th century - the Italians I suppose are famous for funny hats (think no further than the Pope's hat and Bersaglieri helmets!). Maybe it was the original posh ye olde sweatband that served as inspiration for tennis players in the 70s and 80s!

Mine are plain but I think they may have been meant to have geometric patterns

I'm not sure that going to war with an oversized polo mint on your head would be conducive to good balance but ahh, I digress....


C'mon boys, first one through the church door gets to drink the communion wine

In Summary

12 Mounted figures @ 10 points each = 120
No bonuses 
1 Squirrel

Many thanks and with a bit of luck another post might follow overnight

From Millsy: Very nice indeed Kerry and right up to your usual standard too mate. These are smashing and the extra flash of colour from those weird Italian helmet rolls really locates them in time and space. Such an odd, period specific thing those helmet rolls and proof the Italians didn't always have a monopoly on style! The flag is spectacular too and really finishes them off. Nice work!

29 comments:

  1. These are lovely Kerry! One day, I will pull my Landsknecht starter box off the shelf and start my long anticipated Italian Wars project. And when I do,posts like this well be partly to blame. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love painting Landsknechts, go for it its great fun

      Delete
  2. Very nice work. Helmet rolls are new to me. Thanks for the history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All from the Perry box as I'm no Italian wars expert

      Delete
  3. Interesting history lesson, I was just wondering about the odd hats! Nice colour choice, good balance of bright and muted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers I seem to use up a lot of red and yellow paint on Italian wars figures!

      Delete
  4. very nice figures - reminds me I have some of these perrys - for my stoke field 1487, anniversary army for way back in 2017. hmmmm still in the box - but your figures have disturbed them as I can hear some rustling in the figure mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to hear, lets hope they assemble themselves and jump to the front of your painting queue!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work. That Perry Light Cavalry kit is a gold mine of useful bits. I have many figures with the same funny hats, but didn't realize the name and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter neither did I if I'm honest but as you point out, the box versatility is amazing -with 3 boxes I've got 3 completely different units

      Delete
  6. haha, a bunch of 15th century Bjorn Borgs. Great work, really nice models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dallas, they just need McEnroe attitude now!

      Delete
  7. Great work Kerry - love the headgear to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, though I wish now I'd added some cheques!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful brushwork Kerry. Whacky Renaissance fashion is all part of the fun with the Italian Wars, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it certainly does give you fun using a brush

      Delete
  9. Some very well painted Italians Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent brush work and such vibrant colors. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bruce, it seems everything is red, yellow blue, nothing muted in the Italian wars

      Delete
  11. Lovely mazzocchios and banner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work. Can't go wrong with Perry's.

    ReplyDelete