Friday 1 March 2024

From Kerry T- Clippety clop, more hooves and arrows (300 points)

Morning, afternoon & evening all

One of my AHPC goals this year was to paint some horseflesh and thankfully I've managed to do his in the past week. In the next few weeks I hope to knock off a few more units for my Italian wars project

First up though, more Welsh, this time some archers. Finishing these meant that I had painted all of my Welsh figures from Footsore. That sounds great, but as we all know no army is really ever finished and thus some more unpainted figures arrived in the post this week. I see myself using these in skirmish type Lion Rampant/ Baron's war games against Normans and Saxons I think. I figured these should be painted in muted colours

Footsore Miniatures later Medieval Welsh


Not running away, just going to the woods to cut more sticks for arrows

The bulk of the army was painted during the challenge, but here is the complete force (not faction!) including the cavalry, all but four of which were painted up before the challenge




Next up more Perry Plastics, again from the Light cavalry 1450 - 1500 box but this time made up as mounted longbowmen

This box allows so much versatility

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with these but I think I'll definitely use them for 100YW Welsh bowmen, so I set out to paint them in the green of Cheshire but at a push I wonder if I can get away with using them as Mounted Italian Longbowmen for the early Italian Wars





As you can see I didn't quite press hard enough when gluing the horse halves together!

Finally my third unit - some heavies for the Italian wars

Casting Room Miniatures

Now these are proper heavy cavalry, they really do have some serious heft, I don't think I've ever come across figures that weigh as much as this!

The poses are limited but turn out ok

On the website they are listed as Gendarmes but I figure they aren't flashy or dandy enough to be French Gendarmes so have kept the painting simple with horse armour mainly in metal and no Barber pole lances. This will also make it easier to distinguish them from the French on the table

A Perry miniature s flag depicting an Imperialist unit 


These were surprisingly quick to paint given the simplicity of the paint job so perhaps I'll manage a few more before the end of the challenge.

Regrettably no time to get bonus figures painted up this week, maybe next week

In summary

12 x 28mm Welsh foot archers @ 5 points = 60 points

12 x 28mm Mounted Longbowmen @ 10 points = 120 points

12 x 28mm Heavy cavalry @ 10 points = 120 points

Total 300 points 

(Millsy check my maths please if I make another mistake I'll never live it down!)

2 Squirrels

Thanks or looking, see you next week I hope

From Millsy: Another absolutely wonderful submission Kerry, which is only improved by the quality of your table and photography. I really like your choice of colours for the horse furniture and barding which I'm often tempted to scoot over myself. Your math looks good to me so that's another 300 points for your total mate. Smashing brushwork!

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for the positive vibes Millsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry I love the work on the various forms of cavalry. And those Welsh are a colourful (and troublesome) lot :)
    RichardM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, we Welsh try our best to get in the way!

      Delete
  3. Great painting and think the Footsore Welsh are amazing sculpts and you have painted them well - thanks for all the shots on your brilliant terrain table - very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, its easy enough with sand PVA and a bit of flock

      Delete
  4. Fantastic painting Kerry, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stink of an entry Kerry, lovely painting with a hefty points total. Those gendarmes are smashing, but really like the mounted longbows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, not sure why I kitbashed them as longbowmen as I'm trending towards late Italian wars

      Delete
  6. Amazing entry. The new Footsore ranges are some of my favourite figures and your work on them is great. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viking kickstarter next I think -it has to be a must

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Matt,spoke to Peter H today, I'm still mulling up my options re a visit

      Delete
  8. Wonderful cavalry and quite a few of them. I take forever to paint horse units. Always impressed by others banging out quality painting on larger units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom, big batches are best I think

      Delete
  9. Lovely mounted longbowmen, and I like the crouching hooded bowman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, Perry are so good its hard to stuff then up!

      Delete
  10. Very fearsome Welsh and great horse flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely additions this week Kerry - your Welsh look fantastic and the mounted bowmen really push my WotR/HYW buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, we Welsh always look good :-) I'm really looking forward to tacking more 100YW figures

      Delete
  12. The miniatures look stunning specially the knights, but your scenery is absolutely brilliant too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -Pretty easy Sander -one thing I've aimed for over the years is figure bases matching terrain https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/2016/01/03/baking-sand/
      https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/painting-flocking-sand/

      Delete
  13. Excellent looking Welsh, Gendarmes and mounted longbowmen, I've got the same kit but it's taking ages as ther's so much choice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great, nice work

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those Perry's look magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous work Kerry - more please. :) Always love your terrain backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your smashing it Kerry, cav look wonderful

    ReplyDelete