Sunday 7 December 2014

From AlanD - 15mm WWII German Volkssturm Platoon (66 Points)


I'm kicking off my painting challenge this year with a platoon of Volkssturm for Battle Group Fall of the Reich. Basically we have a command group, three rifle squads (each based as two groups of four), a MG-34 team, and a Panzerschrek team.




Figures are a mix of Peter Pig and Skytrex. The bloke carrying the MG-34 is a conversion. I really enjoyed painting these, and went for a mix of figures in civilian clothing, some with Wehrmacht uniforms bits and pieces, and a number in the uniform of the RAD. All of them have the Volkssturm armband on their left arm, which were a bit of a swine to paint.






This was also my first attempt at making urban rubble bases. I happen to have a bag of bits and pieces of plaster walls that I tried casting a few years back and completely stuffed up, so they have finally found their calling.






33 Figures should put me on the board with 66 points. Huzzah!

From Curt:
Welcome back aboard, Dux! This is a great first entry. The rubble effect looks quite good and is evocative of those terrible last months of the Third Reich. I also like that your bases are irregularly shaped which I seems more 'natural' to the eye than the usual precisely cut fare, and again conforms better to the subject matter. (This is a theme that I'd very much like to do as well, perhaps in 20mm...)  Great work!

23 comments:

  1. Ans so Alan takes an early lead in our race to 1500 points. Great figures and lovely basing Dux :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - these are really well painted figures and the basing is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent work that conveys the atmosphere of urban combat. Maybe worth to use matte varnish, because some parts shine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Yes, Alex, I gave them a blast with AP anti shine, but I'm very tentative with it because it is so humid in Sydney at the moment and I didn't want it to 'frost'. When the weather is drier I'll give them another spray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great first submission! The broken bricks on those bases are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent bases that really bring them together. And always nice when a mistake comes back to be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreeing with all the others I do like the bases. As Peter Pig will be updating the PBI rules I can see this being a new army for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting work. The mix of colours and the bases are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely job, bases are really effective tieing it into the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the bases. I now feel justified in saving all of my dodgy plaster casts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! The bases are great - a real justification for never throwing anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The basing really sets these off, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The basing really sets them off. The irregular and urban ruins enhances the adhoc feel of them and makes them look desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them! The mix of figures really work well together and the how you've created a small diorama to each base just adds so much atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very cool entry - I am also interested in the very later war/invasion of Germany for WW2 gaming (although not that crazy about the Battlegroup rules). Very well done with the rubble basing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! The basing really sets the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a big humidity problem here in Darwin. Makes it very tricky to attempt any spraying. That's some speedy work though Dux. They look really good. Great work on the baseing as well. Puts them right in the war.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cracking entry, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely work, Dux. Like others, I like the bases very much. I have a bag of plaster brick bits as well, and have similar plans for it. I think you should get extra points for doing the armbands, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my favorite periods--I'm hoping to submit some 28mm '45 figures later in the competition. My hat is off to you not just for the bases but for the armbands. Those Volkssturm bands are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work overall! I, but that is my personal opinion, would have given some extra points for the bases! Looks like you a lot of work painting these.

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great start mate - I shall take comfort in knowing that I contributed by acquiring the greatcoated PP figs for you :-)

    ReplyDelete