Tuesday 16 December 2014

From DavidL - Malifaux Madness! (60 Points)

Well, it took me a little bit to get up to speed, but I've got a good rhythm going now and am ready to present my first-ever submission.

Earlier this year, I finally got a chance to get into Malifaux and got bit by the bug pretty hard. I had put together a crew using the Hired Swords boxed set, and was quite happy with what I had mechanically, but wasn't totally happy with a few of the figures. So my first priority was sourcing some alternative sculpts for my Hired Swords.

Having been bitten, however, I realized that just one crew wasn't going to cut it. So I picked up the Latigo Posse boxed set, and once again found several of the figures to be lacking in my regard. Don't get me wrong, all of these figures are high-quality sculpts, the usual intricate plastic kits that are part of the 2E Malifaux range. It was more that the poses didn't really work for me on an aesthetic level. So I sourced some alternatives there as well.

Here are the results...



First up, there are the "Alternate Viktorias" from Malifaux's old 1E range. They're much more cartoony than the current versions, but then I like my 28mm figures a bit on the cartoony side.



I painted Viktoria of Blood's outfit to look like it was repurposed army surplus from some sort of cavalry regiment.



With the current plastic Viktoria of Ashes, it's not really clear that she's armed with double katanas. This older sculpt leaves nothing in doubt!



The other figure I wanted to replace was Taelor. She's a true power-hitter, armed with a massive "rune hammer" and she knows how to use it. So I wanted to find a figure that exuded that sort of power and confidence, and I found it in "Alice Tinkerly" from MicroArt Studios.



That may not be a rune hammer on her shoulder, but I'm sure it'll be just as effective! Plus she has the same industrial coveralls as the original Taelor figure - it was meant to be!



I also added a new figure in the form of Vanessa, Viktoria's "real" sister. This was another new plastic figure, and was pretty nice save for the head, which seemed oddly puny. So I swapped in the head of "Steampunk Zara Craft, Relic Hunter" from Guild of Harmony. Much better!



I also made my first foray into Object Source Lighting with Vanessa's "treasure detector" thingy. Needless to say, I've got a lot to learn about OSL, but we've all got to start somewhere. I need to pick up some glazes, I think...

And, for completeness' sake, here's the whole Hired Guns crew together, including the figures I painted before the Challenge - you can get a good idea of how the plastics and metals go together.



Now on to the Latigo Posse. I only ended up using three plastics from the original boxed set. Everyone else is either the 1E metal versions or sourced from third-parties.




I tried and tried to find the original 1E Perdita metal figure, but she's obviously quite popular and could not be found for love or money. However, I found a great alternative in the form of Valeria Alvaro, an Iron Kingdoms figure.


I swapped out her more fantasy-styled pistol for a proper six-shooter, but other than that I didn't need to make any changes. She's a great Perdita!



I made an attempt at giving her snakeskin boots - I think the effect worked out okay.



The plastics consist of los hermanos Niño and Francisco, and Ortega clan patriarch "Papa Loco".



The Malifaux plastics remind me of the sort of "true scale" sculpting one generally sees with 1/72 scale plastics - guns are more realistically scaled, heads and hands more proportional, etc.



Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. In these cases, however, I was quite happy.


Oops - need to do a bit of touch-up on that foot!
We're still waiting on a plastic version of Abuela Ortega, but in the meantime we've got this fantastic little 1E metal piece.



As much as I love the piece, I have to chuckle over the figure's extreme two-dimensionalality compared to how dynamic and "3D" the new plastics are - her pipe is molded to the side of her head!



I supplemented the Ortegas with some Guild members, namely two Austringers and a Hound.



The Austringers also proved difficult to source, as they're old 1E figures. The kneeling "cowboy" figure, in particular, was quite hard to find. Hopefully we'll see some plastics soon, but I was very pleased with these figures once I finally got them.


"You keep a horse in the basement!?"
Lastly, the Hound. I had to go with Hasslefree's "not-Scooby" Great Dane. A great figure, although I have to dock the Ortegas a couple points for not neutering their pet!




Speaking of points, that's 12 28mm figures. As I've mounted them on clear bases, I'm assuming that that will dock me the 25% for having unfinished bases? If so, then we're looking at 45 points total.

From Curt:
First, let me welcome you to the Challenge David! It's great to have new people to mix in with the Old Salts. You're showing us some very beautiful work here. I particularly like that Valeria Alvaro figure and The Hound (with full tackle) is completely ace. (Having had the pleasure of having one of these glorious beasts as a companion (his name was Clive) I've always harboured a soft spot when I see figures of Great Danes.)
'Clive' aka 'The Bert' - RIP
As for the points: The bases are 'finished', just in a very minimal style (PaulS uses the same method), so no points deduction.  :) 
60 points for you! Well done David.

15 comments:

  1. Excellent entry, and welcome across the start line. I really like the individuality one these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the party. I really love these figures, a new range to me. i especially like the austringers and "Papa Loco". Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work and welcome to the loony bin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another crazy inducted into the asylum! Welcome David and congrats on a wonderful first entry. Love the Great Dane...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wild bunch to enter the madness. Excellent stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a such a talented painter. These are just stunning and you've done them differently from what I typically see out there. I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    I like your Dane done as a Harlequin. I had a Dane named "Bones" and he was a Fawn. A gentled nature dog as ever there was. I miss him still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These really are great really like that basing style too.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the funny farm. Great brushmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work! I like these alot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The use of color is really nice on these. Very characterful figures. Great first effort on OSL, I was thinking of debuting my first attempt at it in the challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well done! The Dane looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice, I like a lot those bases.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the kind words, all! Happy to be part of the asylum. Also, obviously everyone loves a Great Dane. :)

    I went with the clear bases because I've been curious to try them out for a while now, and also because I have this contrarian streak that reacted against the extremely elaborate basing one sees with a lot of people's Malifaux figures. It makes a certain amount of sense, given how few figures there are on the board of a typical game, to really go all out, but I couldn't help but wonder how the figures would look with the most minimal basing possible.

    I've been pleased with the results, both aesthetically and on the game table, but I'll be sticking with "classic" basing for all my other projects--getting the metal slotta tabs or molded bases off the figures really adds a lot of extra work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job, great idea with transparent bases

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great painting Dave, love the not Scooby figure!

    ReplyDelete