Thursday 22 February 2018

From KenR : 28mm DAK Tanks (103 points)


Back on track after my little Spanish Interlude with some WW2 Desert vehicles. This time it' my first ever attempt at some Afrika Korps vehicles with these 3 Panzer 2s and 3 Panzer 3s.


The tanks are from Blitzkrieg Miniatures and are their usual high quality, 5 of the vehicles have tank Commanders visible and these figures come from Perrys.


Paint wise these have been done in the darker RAL 8000 Green Brown that the earlier vehicles were painted in rather than the later Yellow Brown. I actually got my airbrush out for once (I find them such a faff) to do the base colour then built up the highlights with Green Ochre and Dark Sand.


My desert British are painted in the 3 colour caunter camo scheme so when I finshed the basic colours on these I didnt feel like I had spent any time on them (compared to hand painted Caunter, I hadn't) so I decided to have a bit of a play with some weathering techniques.


So there is some chipping going on as well as a bit of washing. I also tried out AK Interactive Sand Effect on the PZ III s, it's an interesting medium, being enamel rather than acrylic. As it was new I was quite subtle with it but with a bit more practice I think it will be a useful tool to have in the box. Visible on the front of the tank below.


I used some decals from Warlord Games for the numbers and they look a bit big to me, but I am more than happy with the overall look.

So we have 6 28mm vehicles at 15 points a piece (90) and 5 half 28mm figures  for 12 or 13 points depending which way you round, I'm going for up and 103 points.


Back with some more WW1 Mesopotamia stuff next week, a Battalion of Indian Infantry is already on the table.

Very nice indeed Ken!  I take your point on these feeling much quicker after the hand painted Caunter but they've come out very nicely indeed.  I do like the weathering techniques you've applied to them, I always seem to go a little over the top when I try weathering, but these look just right.

Smashing colours on them too, they certainly look the part and I'm absolutely going to round up for 103 points - wouldn't want to diddle you out of half a point after your hard work!

33 comments:

  1. Wow, great stuff again Ken. Fantastic weathering. I can't ever think of a time during painting when i thought "gee these look good but I haven't spent enough time on them yet"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they were such a breeze after the Caunter stuff I just didn't feel like I had done enough, strange I know.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my first attempt at such Witchcraft.

      Delete
  3. Well done Ken! They‘ve turned out a treat. Your numerals seem to be a little off as I‘m not aware of any German formation using just one digit but I guess it’s perfectly fine for any gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the one digit is accurate, 15th Pz Div in North Africa definately used it, it was over concerns that the British could too easily identify individual tanks. The one digit represents the company number. Other units used a 2 digit system.

      Delete
    2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-783-0110-12,_Nordafrika,_Panzer_II,_Kraftfahrzeuge.jpg

      Delete
    3. https://flames-m58ip69dfg.netdna-ssl.com/portals/0/all_images/Modelling/Panzer-Numbers-2.jpg

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning work on these panzers Ken. I really like the weathering you've given them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, weathering is something new for me to play around with.

      Delete
  6. Really nice. Perfect for a North African Safari. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Kiwi, the great thing is I can use the same game mat for North Africa and Mesopotamia 👍

      Delete
  7. Really impressive armour ken, the end result seems well worth the faff with the airbrush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I really don't know how people do lots of work with them, all that work just to change a colour, no thanks.

      Delete
  8. After Caunter, these must be a walk in the park! Very nicely done. Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Evan, just slap it on, Bing bang bosh job done 😉

      Delete
  9. These look great, Ken. You've really brought out the colour and feel of the desert colour-scheme. Thanks very much for the feedback on the AK Interactive Sand Effect which you used on the PZ III s. I think it does look just that bit different - interesting result for an enamel-based paint. The decals look great, I think. Top work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sidney, a bit of practice on the AK sand and I think I will get some good effects with it.

      Delete