Saturday 5 January 2019

From ByronM - Yet again, more Greeks (120 points)

My second post for the day, and my second Greek post of the challenge.  I am likely only doing one more Greek unit this challenge so don't worry you won't have to suffer through as many as last year!

This unit was added to give some extra flavour and units to the force.  Initially I wanted to add some archers to either force (Allied Greeks and Spartans) however the Spartans tended to look down on archery, in fact they called it womanly fighting and view it as cowardly to not face you opponent while killing them.  They did however use slings, so they were not great with logic.


Anyway, since they would not even hire mercenary archers, but had to face them often, they had to find other ways to deal with ancient archery.  No idea if this following part is fact or not, but in my mind, knowing they did use cavalry, I would imagine that one of the ways to cancel the enemy archers out would be by flanking them with cavalry and killing them directly.  So, I added Spartan Cavalry to my force as a counter to the allied Greek archers.  We will have to see how that works in game.


Besides being a balancing point, it gave me the chance to work on some more of Steve Saleh's great sculpts.  While I wish there were more bodies available (there are only 3 poses) I love Steve's work as it has a ton of character to it.  These were from his line done for Foundry.

I decided to do all of the horses in one colour, since I HATE (and suck at) painting horses in an effort to keep it easier, and because I thought all black stallions under crimson red Spartans would have a good visual effect.


After everything was all painted up, I based them on 50x50mm bases to be used with Hail Caesar or various other game systems.


Overall I am pretty happy with how they turned out, and can not wait to get them on the field with Curt and his crew later this month.  I would say take them out to be blooded, however those damn metal spears have already drawn blood in the painting process!

I believe the points are 12 x 10 = 120 points, but man does painting horses not feel worth it....

What I just don't get is that somehow you have gotten it in your head that we are tired of your Greeks by now. Personally speaking: don't worry I love them! These great riders are no exception on the high quality Ancients you have treated us with and they are a truly good choice for your second post today. 

Oh boy, yes painting horses can be a drag but you seem to have managed quite well and they do bring you another 120 points. I am really curious how your last unit of Greeks will turn out so get to those brushes and paint like Archimedes. (bath towel reccommended).

Cheers from your Stand-up-filosopher Sander  

20 comments:

  1. Great looking Spartan cavalry. Have a lot of Thessalian sculpts to paint from Steve Saleh, great miniatures.

    Game wise Spartan cavalry have always been really good at running away for me 😃

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... hopefully they don't simply run away, but being freshly painted, that is very likely what they will do....

      Delete
  2. Bryon, these are gorgeous!
    More please :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies , wrong account - that was me :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Paul. Not many more to come for Greeks, it will be onto my 30 years war project soon. So, some how more Cav for me to paint, despite hating to paint cav....

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking Greek cavalry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great Byron. Greek cavalry is a must, bugger all useless against any real cav but great in support of peltasts, on the flanks or to throw away and plug a gap.

    I’m not sure about the no Spartan archers thing, I certainly have them in my army and I’m pretty sure that I had historical references for them - Aegisilaus in Asia Minor (Xenophon) and Brasidas in Thrace (Thucydides) come to mind. However, last time I ventured an opinion on Spartans Curt gave me a right bollocking and I expect hell do the same here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be correct, but I have at least two books that make the same "womanly" comment in them by different authors. However, we are talking about antiquity here, so does anyone really know for sure, likely not. I like the story though, so am sticking with it :-)

      Delete
  5. These are splendid, Byron. Nothing quite like ranks of cavalry - but like you, I hate painting horses...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't go wrong with Spartan red in any form Byron. The cavalry look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed Byron! I get that you hate painting horses, plenty of folks do. You'd be amazed how much difference you can get in a unit by just switching the coat colour *once* about 2/3 of the way through. Those few odd coloured mounts make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! They look really good. Cheers

    ReplyDelete