Tuesday 29 January 2019

From MartinC - Another Army Finished (240 points)

OK, so that is a lie. Not a total lie as I have finished all the combatants. My 1st ever entry in the challenge (think it was number 5) was a 28mm Union ACW regiment. I have now reached the end of my ACW collection and have a division of Union and a division of Confederates, 30 regiments I think. When I have a spare afternoon and enough space I will get them out and photograph them. They do get played with as one of my wargaming buddies, Matt, has a similarly sized collection. Generally, we fight to a draw as we have so many figures that nobody can break through. need a bigger table.

Enough waffle. I have painted my final 2 regiments, one of each. They are a mix of figures, metals and Perry plastics as I was using up the last of my unpainted figures.


Confederates. No particular regiment. Originally the plan was 2 brigades but they it grew and became too chaotic to keep a command together. One of these flag bearers was already painted, a cowboy with one leg in rebel uniform.


Union, same command structure as the rebels but none of these are monopedal. 

That is 47 x 28mm figures = 235 pts plus flags.

I have some limbers to paint, need to buy better horses first, and some vignettes to paint but that is it. Really that is it. Stop collecting when they don't make tables big enough to play on.



Nicely done Sir! Very impressed with the double flags waving above them. I love the fact you were looking for a one-legged Union soldier to add in... next time a pair of clippers and some greenstuff? I'm adding four points for the flags and an extra one for making me chuckle, bringing this entry up to 240 Points. 
Lee

39 comments:

  1. “Stop”? What heresy is this? Sounds suspiciously like “common sense” to me and we all know that has no place in our hobby..... these look great, the rebel’s are suitably scruffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I buy more, bet I do, then I'm going to need an indiana jones style warehouse. Ta

      Delete
  2. Wow, 30 regiments of infantry. An amazing collection, Martin. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers boss. Probably your fault, definitely you fault that they are painted than regiment 1

      Delete
  3. Ian, thank you for being generous as ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand this alien idea of completing armies. Doesn't seem to make sense. No. Can't get my head round it. Starting armies - now, that makes sense. Some nice units here. But clearly only an inkling of things to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil man, you tempt me far too much. I would like a black regiment to add to the Union forces, and some more cavalry and.... cheers

      Delete
  5. Great stuff Martin. I for one would like to see the full collection ranked up. Too many troops on table, unable to maneuver and fight to a bloody draw - that sounds like a lot of ACW battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, will get them out over the weekend to photo and publish them next week

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Martin, always good to finish an Army, and then keep adding the odd unit to it every now and again 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yip, it was supposed to be a couple of brigades.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. cheers sick note. Hope you are felling better

      Delete
    2. feeling! Tamsin as a lumberjack, now that's OK

      Delete
  8. Smashing stuff - and I would love to see the entire Army in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Another army finished" - always a touch depressing to read when someone else writes it.

    Great work Martin, well done - what an impressive collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, aim of this year is complete the stragglers, lead mountain almost empty of stuff I want to paint. need a new challenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Regiments! I remember painting one of them once...

    Your output is extremely impressive, Martin - no wonder you're top of the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only top for now. I expect Miles has an entire napoleonic division waiting in hte wings and Alex will have a mongol horde somewhere up his sleve

      Delete
  12. Fantastic work on the two regiments. Yet again your output is staggering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, i have painted a lot. helps that I paint just as badly slowly as quickly, so I paint quickly

      Delete
  13. Excellent work you madman you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, it's worse than that, I'll have another one finished for next week

      Delete
  14. Great looking infantry units, not sure about finished though...!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, me neither, there is a bit of space in the box still

      Delete
  15. Nice work on those chaps, like the idea of a one-legged standard bearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, had that figure for ages but didn't know what to do with it

      Delete
  16. There should be some sort of award for finishing an army... not an experience I've had yet. Lovely regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Just repacked the army and there is space for 2 more regiments in the boxes! Or some limbers

      Delete