Thursday 26 December 2019

From AdamC: Docherty's Dock "Camels" (35 points)

So Camels are a big part of the challenge, We see them all the time.  I've never painted any and rolled my eyes as a I read Dave''s location , but my brain had an itch the use of the words Nautical and Camels together were stirring up an idea.


A few days latter I knew what it was as I was listening to the book 1812 the Navy's War describing how a ship was take over a sand bar using "camels" thus a project was born.   I'll confess that I didn't do a lot of research but made something I thought would look right based on a few images I found and recollections from books I have read. It seemed to me that Camels were often improvised in the field so I did much the same. 


Another scratch build: two old plastic bases to raise the ship up with some craft stick to represent the barges, a dowel cut down to make points for lashing to the side of the ship.


Two more Dowel to represent barrels and tar impregnated canvas for raising the barges and the ship.


The Camels will accommodate the 1/700 Scale ships for the Black Seas Game both the frigate in the first picture and the brig shown here.  I don't know if I'll use them on the table but I might just have to come up with a scenario.


Over head view.  I'm not sure exactly how these should be scored but if 1/2400 ships are 3 point each 5 points seems reasonable.  If so that would get me another 35 points with the points assuming Mr. Docherty likes may painting camels without painting a camel sorry it wasn't quite ready for Hump Day.


Next up is a return to Cooks Crevasse on my way to Hawkings' Hill as I continue up the path of the Forgotten.

__________________________________


Adam, this is a brilliant interpretation of the theme, well done! I'm completely ignorant of this process and love it when the Challenge provides me with something new to learn. Wonderful! 

As to points, let's double the modelling aspect to reflect the effort and creativity, so 40 points total. Well done, Adam!



24 comments:

  1. Great interpretation Adam. Camels of this sort feature in a Hornblower novel IIRC. Basically the extra bouyancy from the camel lets the larger vessel ride higher and thus go where it normally couldn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably my first introduced to Camels was in commadore Hornblower.

      Delete
  2. Excellent interpretation of camel, nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great take on the theme, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of camels before this post. Great to have a new idea to work with. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outside-the-box thinking, Adam :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice.
    The first non-camel camel I was expecting was a Sopwith, so well done on resetting my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice play on words, Adam! They look the part and it is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when we do not only get to see very well painted figures, but also learn something new in the process! Great work Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've learned something today!

    ReplyDelete