Thursday 26 December 2019

From Curt: SAS Jungle Operators and a Huey for Bromley's Butte (80 Points)


Hi All!

Today Sarah's Balloon drops me onto Bromley's Butte to challenge its mysteries. 


Dave asks us for: 'An individual figure or squad of tactical stealth troopers.' With this in mind, I present a team of SAS operators (or perhaps private military contractors), kitted out for jungle ops, deploying from an unmarked Huey chopper.


The models are from Spectre Miniatures' SAS range. I'm a big fan of Spectre's stuff and have found myself snapping up almost everything they have to offer. It's a bit silly as, really, how many figures do you need for a modern skirmish-based game? Well, apparently loads if you look at my lead pile! It's a little out of control. 

To be honest I have sort of a love-hate relationship with the modern gaming genre in general. I find that while I really enjoy the figures, gear and kit, I find that to 'do' the period justice, the settings and scenarios need to go beyond the typical 'lets go flatten another Middle Eastern compound' mindset. So when I'm thinking of modern-era gaming I'm often more interested in scenarios that are more nuanced, really gritty and more often than not, morally opaque. 

As an example: The SAS had a presence in Columbia beginning in the late 80s and extending to around 2010, ostensibly to train government forces in fighting the local drug cartels. Nonetheless, there are many analysts who would argue that their deployment was more to protect and project British corporate interests than anything else. In fact it's probably no coincidence that a significant portion of the private security detail at British Petroleum's site in Casanare were ex-SAS members. These personnel were also involved in training Columbian police units - the same units often associated with death squads targeting Columbian civilian leaders, academics and government protestors.  As I say, morally opaque and perhaps an interesting way to turn the accepted roles of Good Guys / Bad Guys on its head. 

Anyway, enough on the civics lesson and back to the minis. I painted these guys using the handy-dandy digital camo tutorial on the Spectre website - a great resource for those like me who have little experience with painting this kind of stuff. To simulate the spooky facepaint you often see these guys sporting, I painted most of their faces in camo as well.





The Huey began as a diecast model that I picked up on ebay a while ago. I remember it being quite inexpensive, probably due to it being in the cherry red livery of the Texaco Company (perhaps a fitting provenance considering how it's being featured in this post). 




The 'red-goes-faster' paintjob was easily fixed with a quick blast of primer and sprayed olive green and dirtied up a bit. It's a little rough around the edges, but I think it's quite serviceable for the tabletop. 

My lame attempt at a rotor wash using a coffee can glued over with spraypainted pillow ticking. Oh well, you get the idea... 

Okay, as to points for this lot: Six 28mm infantry will chalk up 30, the Huey is worth 20 and then the 30 point bonus for Bromley's Butte. So, 80 points total to nudge me towards my target. 

Thanks for dropping in. I hope everyone is recovering from the hustle and bustle of the 25th and is preparing for the upcoming New Years celebrations!


-Curt


45 comments:

  1. Great paint job Curt and I love your figure bases. Top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Benito. It's wonderful to have all these great tutorials out on the web - it makes doing these types of figures so much easier.

      Delete
  3. Great work and nice repurposing of the toy chopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. Yes, the chopper was a great find as 1:48 scale diecast stuff can often be prohibitively expensive.

      Delete
  4. Lovely paintjobs, curt. And good to see that the pupsters have taken you for walkies in the snow - they know you need to burn off some of those calories from Christmas dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are the only thing preventing me into turning into Baron Harkonnen. One more good feed and I'll need a suspensor belt to get around. :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work on the camo and the Huey Curt. I must say I am increasingly tempted by the idea of clear plastic bases. On the topic of more ‘ambiguous’ modern warfare scenarios, I would recommend ‘Plausible Deniability’. Although designed for Skirmish Sangin rules, the scenarios are easily adapted to whatever set you fancy. A couple of the scenarios should be very familiar if you are a bit of a movie buff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Peter. I like the clear bases for certain types of game, especially where the figures will be on terrain tiles. They are a bit of a hassle to prep as you have to saw off the original bases, and I find it's best to pin one of the feet for stability.

      I have Plausible Deniability and really enjoyed its scenarios as they are interesting and a little 'out-of-the-box' from the regular fare.

      Delete
  6. I can see why you like these figures, Curt, and you really do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing Camo work but I particularly love the re-purposed heli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I was please with how it turned out.

      Delete
  8. Nice work on the SAS and I really like what you did with the die-cast Huey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Paul. I always find it a godsend when you can find a cheap diecast for something you really didn't want to build.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work Curt. what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Curt. I’m shuddering thinking about what Worst Case Scenario they’ll appear in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I have a few ideas in mind for some jungle shenanigans.

      Delete
  11. Great looking special forces types and I really like the Huey!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work, especially on the camouflage. I’m no expert, but they certainly look the business to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yeah, I'm no expert either which makes me love tutorials that make you feel like you sort of know what you're doing. ;)

      Delete
  13. Very snazzy work, sir! Especially the helicopter conversion.

    My copy of Spectre Operations arrived today, along with a few minis. I have to say they are much nicer in the pewter than the figures appear in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. Yes, they're very nice sculpts, my only criticism is that the weapons are true scale which often means they seem a bit small.

      Delete
  14. Great job on these Curt - camo is such a bugger to paint as well. Love the acrylic bases.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cracking work Curt and the camo and smoke really worked a treat!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on the camo - the 'smoke' is supposed to be dust, but I think I need to revisit that...

      Delete
  16. Suberb painting as ever! I too have a soft spot for modern warfare but as of yet I've managed to stay clear... save for some dabbling with 20mm Bundeswehr a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'd do a marvellous job on this stuff Nick - you should give it a go.

      Delete
  17. Great work Curt! I have sort of the same feeling about Moderns (or at least Ultra Moderns). I really like painting the minis and the look of them, but somehow a lot of the gaming kind of seems too "current". Playing a conflict that is still on going somehow just seems wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, Samuli, but when you think on it, no matter what period we're playing, we're still making light entertainment out of war and strife. As to 'moderns' I usually put on scenarios (say from SCW forward) to be provocative and/or underline the grim, pluralistic aspects of these conflicts.

      Delete
  18. Excellent work, Curt! The camouflage is pretty darn good and the Huey is definitely something black ops would use as it's old, anonymous, and wouldn't be missed if stolen! I like the dust off and sometimes it does feel like that. I am getting used to morally opaque...bad guys are the ones shooting at you. ;)
    I'll also have to curse you as you are the reason I met the makers of Spectre and added to my mountain of neglect. I'm going the route of zombies, bank robbers, drug cartels, and human trafficking...strictly therapy! ;)
    No morally opaque issues for the operators!
    The spectre rules are a very nice system and an excellent read. Plus they have rules for dogs!
    Nice work and an excellent recce team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'm delighted you like the figures. I concur with your idea that these figures could be used for personal therapy. I have a few of those coming up in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  19. Awesome entry Curt, I didn't know the SAS used Huey's but fair enough. Anyway my sons really got angry by your messing up of the nice red rescue scheme of the chopper :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander, I hang my head in shame in offending your boys on my colour choice. :)

      IIRC, the SAS used Columbian Hueys for their operations.

      Delete
  20. Fine work on these Dude. While the cammo pattern is mind-blowing, I continue to be amazed at your execution on the clear plastic bases for the infantry - I could never get that to work (mine would be more "glue coloured"...) - very, very nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much dude! Believe me, I've done loads of epic fails while getting these bases to work.

      Delete