Sunday 29 December 2019

From ByronM: Landing on the Reidy's Reef in a sub? (45 Points)

Well, it has taken a while, but I am finally ready to land on Challenge Island.  With holiday season and family events it has taken longer to arrive on the island than I had originally planned, but at least I am here now!

To be fair, a lot of the delay was about not really being sure where to land and what path to take.  In the end I figured I had to take the path of the new and shiny since a) I have a space on that path bearing my name, and b) as anyone who knows me will attest..... SQUIRREL!!!  I kind of get distracted and jump onto new projects pretty damn fast.  So, overall it makes sense to follow this path, at least for a while until I get distracted again.

To make landfall, I went digging through my pile-o-shame looking for something that would fit the Reidy's Reef nautical theme requirement.  While I had a bunch that I could use, I had not planned ahead for the island challenges and therefore didn't have anything assembled or primed for the spaces.  I had lots of ships kicking around but nothing ready to go.  Then I happened across my box of Games-Workshops Dreadfleet, which I had bought, assembled, primed, played a few games, found out how bad it was (despite having some really cool looking figures) and then sat in the box for years.  At least I had everything there assembled and primed though!

So I pulled out something simple to paint and away I went....

May I present to you my Dwarf submarine war machine.  It is basically a mechanical kraken and is a great example of the cool models in the Dreatfleet box.


While I painted it up in a super simple steel and brass colour scheme, I think it works.  After all it's underwater most of the time so any real life paint details would very quickly corrode away and be gone anyway.


Hope you all like it.  Not sure I will get to any other Dreadfleet models this challenge, but I may simply because they are all ready to paint, so any time I hit a nautical theme space, they may become my go to choice.  Also, it would me nice to have them all done at some point.


Oh, and size wise the game has no real set scale, but the base is 32mm x 75mm.

_________________________


Oooh, how very cool! I've always wanted to pick up a copy of this game as the minis looked so groovy. Great work on this 'sub', Byron. as you say the craft itself is fairly straightforward, but I have to say I really like what you did with the water and wave effects - very nice. 

As to points, we'll count it as a 28mm cavalry figure with a few points added in.

Welcome back to the Challenge Byron!

-Curt

18 comments:

  1. Very cool looking mini Byron, mechanical Kraken is about right. Maybe look around for other fantasy naval rules instead of Dreadfleet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work - the blue base contrasts really nicely with the brass of the sub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Byron - I didn't realize you had picked up a copy of "Dreadfleet" - nice looking start. The ship itself is cool, but the toughest part about many naval miniatures is the water on the base - you did very well here too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, yeah I have had it for a while, I believe we have used the water mat several times from it for other games, but the actual dreadfleet rules suck... Everyone says that water is hard, but all I do is 4 shades of blue, dry brushed in one direction, then a wash to blend it. Simple and easy to do, and looks good, unless you look really close.

      Delete
  4. Great looking ship and super looking water finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a smashing model wonderfully executed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes the game has some great models in the set. I really should get them all done.

      Delete
  6. Really cool! The wave effects are sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this sub. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your colour choices are perfect for the mini and the base, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant rendering of an excellent model. I'm heavily into Black Seas at the moment, but keen on getting some Dreadfleet models to make the history a bit more fantastic. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice indeed, what a fun model.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on this mechanical Kraken, as if a non-mechanical one was insufficient ;)

    ReplyDelete