Sunday 29 December 2019

From PaulSS - Laserburn Trike Squadron for Millsy's Millpond (90 Points)


Back in the very early 1980's when I was at 'comp' I moved on in my wargaming journey, having graduated from throwing cricket balls at 1/32 Airfix figures to reading Military Modelling and finding out about the availability of commercial rules and figures aimed just at me.


What a great stride forwards was made when John and I found out that Tabletop Games (TTG) on Nottingham Road, Daybrook was only about an hours bike ride away from our homes. We made many trips to this place to spend our pocket money, paper round earnings, etc. and it was a treasure trove of dust and fantastic stuff. If you blew away some of the - probably highly toxic - dust you revealed a trove of figures including lots of their own 15mm ranges, Ancients, Napoleonics, Colonials, American Civil War to name but a few. Among this collection was a range of figures for a set of rules called Laserburn and I likely got very giddy at the thought of blasters and light sabres; remember we were only five years out from Star Wars: A New Hope at this time.


I don't recall exactly what I bought at the time, but I do recall that I did buy some 'Red Redemptionists' including at least one Trike. They were painted white and I recall that I made a 'Hoth' wargames table using some polystyrene roofing tiles.


Having embarked on Challenge Island I have placed an order on a company in the UK for some other memory lane 15mm stuff, but was concerned that it would not get here in time, but, browsing the online catalogue of my local games store was delighted to see that after the demise of TTG that not only had Alternative Armies picked up the range, but a Trike Squadron was available in stock. It just had to be done! (It said six models in the blister, but there were only five when I opened it).

With a shudder I recalled the original white Humbrol Enamel paint-job of the originals I had daubed on these models circa 1983 , no primer, no highlights, no varnish and discarded that thought completely. Instead I went for a burgundy bike and armour with white robes and black for the guns etc. I also decided against Hoth basing, these are instead on desert bases with a few cork rocks and some scorched grass tufts.

These did take me back, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to start a new project.

 Not sure how these five Trikes fit in with the scoring, small 15mm vehicles with a couple of crew each, I suppose if we've previously pointed some motorcycle combinations for WWII that would likely be an appropriate baseline. Hopefully I will get the bonuses for 1980's and the backstory too.

________________________________

I quite enjoyed reading your trip down memory lane, Paul (especially the 1hr bike ride to the nearest hobby shop). I never had them, but I clearly remember Laserburn and TTG figures. It's great that the range lives on with Alternative Armies, allowing us to ride shotgun on your trip down memory lane. Though perhaps a bit lumpy in spots, I really like the spirit of these figures, especially the pillion riders with their capes whipping in the wind - wonderful stuff. The purple and white combo does a nice job in making them looks very 80s sci-fi as well. Well done Paul!

With all the assorted nostalgic bonus points included, you get a very tidy 90 to add to your total. Great work and thanks for the 80s roadtrip, Paul!

-Curt




24 comments:

  1. Cool story, cool entry. Love the one hour bike ride. I’m guessing that wasn’t on a fancy motorized war trike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, indeed not, my push-bike was a Raleigh 10-speed with drop handlebars :)

      Delete
  2. A real blast from the past. Top stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking trip down memory lane, Paul :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Curt: Thank you, and yes, they are a bit lumpy compared to new stuff. I broke my own "life's too short to paint crap figures rule" for these ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the odd lumpishness are what makes them wonderfully characterful. Funny, it's a breath of fresh air to see these in our current world where we laser-precise models are the norm and we fetishise 'true-scale'.

      Delete
  5. Great. I have a few of these that I picked up in a job lot of stuff. If you want them get in touch via Curt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, this trip down memory lane was enough for now.

      Delete
  6. Holy smokes...Laserburn. I have only heard that mentioned as a kind of legend - so very cool to see some figures for real! Very cool, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, I used to enjoy a bit of Laserburn back in the day.

      Delete
  7. Cracking back story and what fine looking old figs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great classic styling on these!

    ReplyDelete