Monday 30 December 2019

From SanderS: Landfall at Challenge Island - Awdry's Atoll (96 Points)


Hoi There!

Finally, I have made it to Challenge Island! As I want to try and visit all locales upon this island in as straight a route as possible, I needed to decide where to go ashore. One of the challenges that had me moaning the most upon reading them, was Awdry's Awfull Atoll where we needed to do something on a CD! I have dabbled with these as bases in the past, but can't say I liked it much as a medium.

 The CD's I used for these are old History Methods we used at school.

So I really was in a bad state as to what I should use for this particular entry. That said I also got a sprue of Gaslands vehicle upgrades with Arthur at the Crisis and a whole box of cars so... You wanted a vignette Awdry? You'll get one! Here's some 20mmDark Alliance figures with a Hot Wheels car for you to peruse. I had the most fun painting the pick-up, the rust specially is something I like, I am not good at it but just like doing it.


The whole atoll


 Rocks made by using plastercast moulds from a railroad scenery line (Noch?)




The vehicle is left separate in order to be used racing across the Badlands.




I would also like to show you my Challenge Island Entry Fee figures. As I was checking the lead pile to see what to paint during this Challenge, I stumbled along these two ACW miniatures from Foundry. Now idea whatsoever how I got hold of them but since I am not doing ACW in 28mm at this time, I thought someone else would enjoy them.



They seem a bit glossy but that's because I took the pictures before using the "Anti-shine" on them. I intentionally did not flock them thinking the receivers might want to do that themselves in order to tie them in with existing armies.

If my maths doesn't fail me the following should be the amount added to the total.

4x 20mm = 16
1x 20mm vehicle = 15
2 x 28mm = 10
1x 30 from Awdry's Atoll
1x 25 from the Entrance fee
equals 96 points!

______________________

Haha, I like your idea of actually making an atoll for Awdry's Atoll, Sander. This being said, I'm not sure how the half-ton works in this story. Maybe it's been stranded by the incoming tide? Part of some abandoned cargo? Or, yes, a cleverly disguised high-speed powerboat (James Bond on a post-Brexit budget). No matter, it looks great and suitably weatherbeaten  - a suitable jalopy for Challenge Island. 

Your tabulations are correct and you're now ready to strike inland! Well done Sander.

-Curt

33 comments:

  1. Those Post apocalyptic scenes are great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set of vignettes and excellent recycling of CDs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Benito, I had a lot of fun doing them.

      Delete
  3. I thought Awdry wanted us to pay a toll which was seedy - glad you've seen through the ruse, Sander! Nice use of the materials - I particularly like the truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yuck what an image you've planted in my brain there! You clearly have not met Master Awdry, because a more sincere and polite gentleman does not walk this Earth save for our Boss the Snowlord that is.

      Delete
  4. Great work Sander. I love the pickup,I’m sure I’ve pulled up next to it at a stoplight in Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Did it also carry a .30call?

      Delete
    2. Fortunately no automatic weapons in Canada, but I shudder to think about what metal some of the local a Cowboys carry.

      Delete
  5. I like these Sander, well done ol' chap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Sander! Welcome to Challenge Island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to finally have arrived for sure! I was afraid I'd miss the proverbial boat ;-)

      Delete
  7. @Curt: As Pratchett says in "The Last Continent" everything ends up in XXX (i.e. Ozzz) by means of driftwood. Oh by the way he specifically mentions Camels ending up on Ozzz carried by trees floating from Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this Sander a whole Atoll to enjoy, brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete