Tuesday 25 February 2020

From Barks: On the geology of Orodruin in two models (40 points)

Orodruin (Mt Doom, colloq.) is an isolated volcanic hotspot in the Gorgoroth basin. It is an active volcano, and would been built up rapidly by basic lava, scoria, and ash (Sarjeant, 1996). While Reynolds (1974) and Sarjeant (1996) argue that the orogeny of the Mordor Volcanics was through plate tectonics and continental drift, Ingles & Orthia (2016) propose that Mordor is the result of a collapsed supervolcano.

After Reynolds (1974)

References

Ingles C, Orthia LA. 2016. A new synthesis on the geology of Middle-earth: Genesis, orogeny and tectonics. Prepared for Journal of Hobbitlore

Reynolds RC. 1974. The geomorphology of Middle-Earth. The Swansea Geographer 11: 67-71.

Sarjeant WAS. 1996. The geology of Middle-earth. Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature. 21(2): Article 50.


I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-Galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shaft of his father's sword, and took it for his own.

JRR Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)

I made part of Orodruin to accompany my earlier vignette of Isildur & Elendil. Being fiendishly clever, I used magnets. I made a diorama on a large oval Renedra base with some GF9 resin rocks, which I highly recommend as cheap, effective and durable. When I was happy with the appearance, I glued it in place and built up more groundwork with bark, plaster, and grit. I sealed it all with PVA. I made a sabot for Sauron on my 3D printer and worked that in. I took the opportunity to improve his basing as well. I painted the groundwork in a mix of black lightened with cream, then added some splashes of raw and burnt umber to add some colour variation to the ash wastes. Finally, I hid a flower behind the rocks, because, even in the darkest moments, hope blooms. Overall, I am really pleased with how this came out. I like the colours and how the big rock balances the Dark Lord aesthetically. Straight to the display cabinet!

Early planning
Magnetic Númenóreans (not part of this submission)
Groundwork before painting

Painted, with hidden flower




Utterly coincidentally, last weekend I got in a game of War of the Ring- there will be a game report on my blog this week. WotR is an excellent epic boardgame that I would love to play more often. I had a look on Thingiverse and found a 3D Mount Doom, which I printed and used and was very happy with. After the game, I added texture and painted it.

Unpainted in-game shot

Painted 
With vulcanologists



This submission, ~0.5 STCs

About 0.5 Standard Terrain Cubes 10
Cooke's Crevasse 30


Where to next? I wonder...

28 comments:

  1. Wow that is a terrific job, really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barks: this is a brilliant entry! I love the geology - though I expect Martin will have something to say about that! - and the hidden flower is a wonderful touch - I feel we should have more poetry in our games. (I may be a tad unusual in that, though!)
    And the painting is excellent, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work Barks! One of my favorites for this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. marvellous bit of research. Mythologically it should be a hotspot but geologically I would go for a subduction zone in a multiple plate collision. Think Mt St Helens in the Rockies as opposed to Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

      Delete
  5. That is one unbelievable impressive post, both in research, design and execution! I am in awe Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Dark Lord .... maybe you can also position him in the corner of any traditional historical clashes, just to psyche out the opponent. He is pointing to say "that unit will be destroyed next ....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s going to boop them on the nose. Boop!

      Delete
    2. “... and unleash the power of the ring...”

      Delete
  7. Simply brilliant! I love this submission Barks. If we lived closer I'd love to have a game of WotR with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great stuff Barks! Love the geology too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, geology is only interesting when there is lava.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely brilliant. Any post featuring Tolkien in any way is obviously high on the brilliancy scale, but these are excellently done and extremely creative as well. Easily top-3 material for this Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super post ,love the finish and made up science stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete