Wednesday 20 January 2021

From LeeH - Airborne Jeeps (42 points)

Last week I posted pictures of my Airborne Platoon for use with Chain of Command and this week I have a few jeeps to add to the mix. These would be delivered to the landing zone in specially adapted gliders which could be broken in two to release the heavy load inside. I have been looking forward to painting these, and while some of the detailing on the cast figures wasn't as good as on the infantry I did last week, I'm still happy with them. 


I've modelled three vehicles, one with a Bren Team, one with a small rifle team and the last one empty, to used when one of the other vehicles has delivered its passengers. I enjoyed these so much I may buy a few more!


These models are from Skytrex and came with a nice selection of crew to put in them. On their website, it shows the passengers sat with their legs inside the vehicles, but I've seen several pictures with troops sat the other way around, legs over the sides, presumably ready to leap off at a moments notice. I was in a real quandary about how to assemble these but in the end, I found enough period photo's showing them as Skytrex had them, so I went with "arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times". 

(Scoring: 3x15mm Vehicles & 9x15mm Infantry = 42 Points)

------

Lovely job Lee! A couple of jeeps fitted with LMGs will really add some mobility and flanking options to your elite infantry force.  They were also used to tow glider deployed AT guns and light Howitzers, just in case you were wondering what else to add to your army! :-)

Cap'n Wednesday

8 comments:

  1. Lovely trio of para jeeps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Lee, who can resist a jeep with red berets in
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having ridden cross country in several vintage WW2 jeeps, I can tell you that keeping inside the vehicle and holding on for dear life is indeed the best way to sit.
    Lovely work on this trio of light vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear some first hand experience! I've seen reenactors at living history shows with their legs outside, but they were 'going into action' and wanted to leap off quickly. Not sure I'd want my legs outside (and exposed) on a longer trip.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Stuart, a friend of mine has a 1943 Jeep and I always use my legs to brace me and at least one hand to stay on the seat, but... it's the most primal way to ride a car for sure.

      Delete
  4. Who wouldn't like parajeeps? I made myself a few a couple of years ago. Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little Jeep’s and crew Lee.

    ReplyDelete