Tuesday 28 December 2021

From Sander: Mansions of Madness (180 points)

Hoi,

Christmas has come and gone and since my last post I haven't been idle. Today I'd like to present you some figures for a boardgame called "Mansions of Madness". I am told it is a nice game with great tiles, but the figures are horrible and the basing system is a drag too. The game is set in a Lovecraftian world of Cthullu-calling detectoring. A group of adventurers (the players) enter a Mansion to prevent the Apocalypse from happening or some such other. The adventurers and monsters they encounter are placed on big black bases that have slots to hold information cards but completely cover the great artwork of the tiles that make up the Mansion/ board. 

My friend Roel disliked the bases and the figures and asked me what to do about them, probably knowing I would cave in and paint them up for him as well as put them on clear acrylic bases. 

The figures are really two dimensional (apart from the two large Cthullu's) and the details are really really shallow. So I must admit this is not my best work but I am happy with how they turned out all the same in the end. 

The adventurers:





The top two pictures show the male heroes: a rich man, an archeologist, priest and a detective.

The last two pictures show the female figures: A girl with a candle (both Roel and myself got a distinct Alice in Wonderland vibe off her) a scientist, a librarian (she looked like Velma to me) and a sportswoman.

The monsters and NPC's:
















They are pretty self-explanatory to me, but just some quick notions about them: the two leathery winged monsters really reminded me of Minocks as featured in the Star Wars films, the cultists I painted with different stripe colours and masks so you can play them with different ranking within their cult if you wanted to. And the two ghosts and zombie reminded me of Michael Jackson's Thriller, and I hate that song...

Now let's get back to those bases for a minute shall we? I was daunted by the clear acrylic bases and specially gluing anything on them, but last Challenge Curt explained what glue he uses and I ordered it from Green Stuff World since I needed some of their produce for this year's big and SECRET project anyway, you can find the glue HERE. Using that worked like a treat and there's nothing to it, but cleaning away the glue-strings it leaves behind so why not try it yourself? Yes I am looking at you Young Master Douglas! 

The bases themselves were lasered at the school where I work as we have a laser cutter standing by. 

So in the end, Roel got his figures and I gain 180 points (36 x 28mm figures) for the Challenge!

Cheers Sander   


_____________________________

No, you haven't been idle at all, Sander. Wow! This is a load of work to have been done in such a short time - bravo! We're big fans of Mansions of Madness here as it's cooperative, and has this clever app feature that keeps track of the game's mechanics and plays the nasty 'Mansion'. 

I agree, the map tiles are great, but many of the figures are a bit soft in detail. That being said, I think you've don a marvellous job on the set, and I especially like the punchy colours you've used. I also think your decision to go with clear bases was perfect for this game as it allows one to easily see the tiles beneath the figures (and I'm delighted that the glue I suggested worked well for you). A laser cutter at school? How neat is that!!

190 points (I've added a few points for the big lads) will streak you ahead on the roster, well, for at least the time being. :)

- Curt

22 comments:

  1. Great paint bomb Sander. Curt is a huge fan of just about anything Cthulhu, and we’ve indeed had great fun with this game. You’ve done a good job with some iffy minis. Maybe next year I’ll see about clear bases, but I don’t have access to a laser cutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you do have 'access' to Byron. ;) He'll set you up with some of the bedevilled things.

      Delete
    2. True enough, but that is a project for next year. For one thing I’m not sure which minis I’d want on clear bases.

      Delete
    3. Mice and Mystics would be a good pick.

      Delete
    4. Cheers Peter, I can really recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Wow Sander, that's a monster haul of figs in that post, the first point bomb 💣 of the Challenge, some lovely stuff in there mate 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's my first up pointsbomb at least. But thanks for the kind words 😊

      Delete
  3. MoM bases are horrible, I agree. But you have done great job painting this big and varied lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't understand why FFG chose to use them but well they look better now

      Delete
  4. Great work Sander. We all know that Mansions are a source of possible apocalyptic activity, so I would say this game prepares the players with useful life skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work on this lot Sander. I like the effort you have made to mix up the colours on similar looking minis, that should make it easier for you to track the action in game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, that was indeed one of my goals while painting 🎨

      Delete
  6. Wow! You put out pretty remarkable work when you’re idle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you should see me when I am not a lazy bum 😉

      Delete
  7. Awesome collection of Mansions of madness figures, delightfully done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much obliged Iain, but I am glad to have finished them.

      Delete
  8. Such a fun game, but all those figures do need rebasing!

    ReplyDelete