Tuesday 18 January 2022

From Mike P: 15mm SF Recon/SF Troopers (Solaris)(30 points)

 Hello fellow Challengers!

After a week's silence, I'm back with a modest SF-themed entry.   These 15mm figures are from Darkest Star Miniatures, from their line of Spec-Sec figures, described as "troops wearing high intensity armour, armed with suppressed heavy assault rifles".   I learned about Darkest Star when I asked Nordic Weasel fo 15mm SF figure recommendations, and was impressed with their product.   The only downside was that the metal sprue these guys were all cast on was ridiculously thick, resulting in some damage to one figure (foot amputations, sadly, though that hasn't slowed him down).


I've painted their armour and weapons and based them for a desert environment, and for a contrast to their opponents, nasty kitty troopers from Khurasan Miniatures, who I've painted rather garishly.   The idea was to fight the Larry Niven-inspired Man-Kzin Wars, using SF rules from Nordic Weasel Games (@WeasalNordic), so thanks to him and the Challenge for reviving this interest.



Since modern armies love their patches and unit identifiers, I added a unit badge to their shoulder plates (pauldrons?), which I guess makes them tiny cousins of all the Space Marines that have been stomping around the Challenge.  However, I see these guys as being sneaky beaky SOF recon types, first dropped into a Kzin-occupied planet to identify suitable landing sites, raid critical infrastructure, that sort of thing.  Here they are doing their recce thing.


Because these guys get paid not to be seen, I think they qualify for a visit to Solaris, planet of deception and illusion, my first Quadrant landfall.

That's a lot of blather for 10 points (5 15mm foot @ 2 ea) plus the 20 points for visiting Solaris for a total of 30.

Cheers,  MikeP


Those recon troopers look great, Mike, and they certainly qualify for Solaris. It may be a small entry, but I see there is another sermon in the queue from you!

Tamsin

17 comments:

  1. Nice work on those little fellas. Really like the colour scheme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice job, that’s a lot of fine detail on such teeny troops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amount of detail you got on these tiny figures is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on these sneaky beaky recon chaps, Mike. I also quite like the groundwork you've given them. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Mike. 15mm is great for sci-fi - and I had no idea Darkest Star did 15mm stuff? The things you learn in the Challenge...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work. The insignia on the shoulders was a great idea, it helps tie them together as a unit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great little figures and awesome basing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on 15mm miniatures Mike! You've reminded me it's been too long since I last played Gruntz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking squad,I remember really enjoying the Larry Niven Man Kzin stories, long ago!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very nice. They would be great for a game of Starship Troopers or Steve Jackson Games’ Battlesuit.

    ReplyDelete