Tuesday 18 January 2022

From SanderS: Continuing the Quadrant journey to Arda (105 points)

  Hoi,

Next stop Arda, something with Old School fantasy/ Tolkienesque figures eh?! Well I could paint over my old LotR Fellowship, but another chance popped up unexpectedly. Arthur, my gaming buddy Mark and myself have been dabbling in Blood bowl lately and what do you know: two other of my colleagues play the game as well! Looks like a school league in the making to me. 

To get to the point: co-worker Menno had several unpainted Blood bowl figures and I offered to paint one  team up so he could use them on the pitch. He chose his Ork team for this as he had already thought up a background story for them. Apparently they were an amalgamation of two teams that sported yellow and purple outfits respectively... Am I ever going to get rid of that scheme?! 






Anyway he didn't only have a regular old school team kicking around but also some specials and so I set to work.





Menno wanted them to look clean and bright like the older style GW figures and I think I managed that quite alright. My favourite must be the Troll it almost painted itself and just oozes character.

Now as far as points and skulls is concerned: if I am not mistaken there are 24 skulls in total on these old skool GW figures Barks ;-)

Pointswise there are 12 regular 28mm figures and the troll so that's 13 x 28mm figures = 65 points and if this entry is worthy enough the bonus for Arda is another 20 resulting in 85 points total.

EDIT: as Teemu so kindly pointed out; there's 12 orks in the team AND 4 specials and a troll. So that's 17 figures amounting to 85 points. Together with the bonus that's 105 points total. Thanks Teemu!

Cheers Sander


Well, they are fantasy creatures, so I guess they qualify for Arda...

Nice painting, Sander!

Tamsin

30 comments:

  1. I know nothing of BloodBowl, but I do know that the Troll is super. I particularly like the green tones on his skin?hide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hide is the accepted word indeed I think and thank you for the kind comments!

      Delete
  2. I love these, I love that the team colours have even been used on the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I paint figures for a game like blood bowl I try to keep in mind that recognisability on the field is important. Throwers (as well as catchers and blitzers) are important so you need to be able to keep them apart. Plus I liked the idea ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great job Sander. But your friend...he is aware that these are the colours of the Minnesota Vikings, right? These Orcs appear to show the same level of competence...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What's a Minnesota precioussss?" No serious we have no idea of the sporting scene in your part of the world,I haven't even any clue of sports in my own neck of the woods... but I will google-fu them...

      Delete
    2. Recommended search terms include "Minnesota Vikings" and "Failure", "Choking", "Terrible Kicker", "Losing Game Due To Kicker"

      Delete
  4. Love those old school orcs. That colour scheme complemets their green skin nicely ;–)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. strange you should say so, when finished I realised the same thing and they were really cool to paint too!

      Delete
  5. Lovely colour choices and the troll skill is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely looking Ork team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant work Sander. Like many here, I love how you did up the Troll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely scheme and easy to paint, right? :) Blood Blow, the game of fantasy football. Should be ok for Arda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaannd! Did you count the specials as well? I think there are 17 figures here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no I forgot, so thanks heaps!

      Delete
    2. Just as well I decided to go back through all the posts and read the comments - I've updated your score in the spreadsheet and on the roster. :)

      Delete
  10. Excellent blood bowl figures Sander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, if all goes well more BB stuff will follow.

      Delete
  11. Man, these take me back! Love the colour scheme Sander, I'm sure these guys will serve you well. My ork blockers always perform well. Nothing makes me happier than kicking hobbits and elves into touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rights Millsy! Actually Arthur plays (Black) Orks and he is really all about kicking everybody down without regard for the ball. Scoring is entirely optional.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sander:
    These guys look super competitive and I love the bright colours. The cheerleaders are totally demented. Great fun.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid looking blood bowl team!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like BB, and well done on the skullz!

    ReplyDelete