Tuesday 18 January 2022

From MikeP: 28mm Ancient Germanic Warriors (Klendathu) (130 pts)

 In my second post of today, I offer some big brothers to Tamsin's splendid mob of 15mm ancient Germans that graced this page recently.  I'm happy to show you 22 bellicose chaps, Germanic warrior from Victrix.


These guys are the first tranche from a bag of 60 (!) figures that I was inspired to buy because the fellows in the local gaming group are quite taken by the Clash of Spears rules, though of course most everyone favoured Romans or Carthaginian armies.  Being a bit of a contrarian, I opted for wild shouty Germans who would quite happily fight anything anyone cared to put on the table.

These were the first Victrix figures I've ever purchased and I found them quite easy to assemble, with a pleasing variety of torsoes (6 per sprue, I think), many heads to choose from, and quite a few weapons and shield types.   

I primed them in Citadel Corax Gray spray paint, and then gave them a wash in Windsor and Newton brown ink before painting.   This had the happy result of giving me defined lines that I could work around when applying the flesh paint, and that gave me the muscle definition that seems to be a hallmark of the English style of painting that I associate with painters like Kevin Dallimore.   It looks exaggerated close up, but it looks better on the table (not that I'm associating myself with Mr. Dallimore, mind you!).

For how I paint, this is middle to higher-end wargames standard painting.  They won't win any prizes, but they look ok to me.    I used a lot of Citadel contrast paints and washes.

First up are some javelin chuckers, some of whom appear happy just wearing diapers.


Guys with sharp pointy sticks.


Clubby and stabby guys.


Chaps in Roman armour and helmets.  Could be battlefield trophies that they've appropriated, or they could be Germans in Roman service who have deserted.  Either explanation works for me, but you can imagine the teasing from their mates, "Hey, Rolph, what's wrong with a diaper?  Hey, guys, check out Mr Fancy Pants!"


After I brought these fellows home from my FLGS, I decided to invest in some shield transfers from Little Big Man Studios, conveniently retailed by Victrix and sized perfectly for these shields.   They add a lot to the overall look, I think.

These fellows will spoil a Roman's day, and there are more of them lurking in those woods for another post!



So, 22 28mm foot figures @ 5 ea = 110 points.   I'm going to use this entry to visit Klendathu, and if you wonder how these guys qualify for "Invasion Gone Bad",  just ask Emperor Augustus what happened to his legions ("Quintil Vare, legiones redde!") :


So 130 points in all.

Cheers,  and thanks for looking,  MikeP



Well, if Oscar had come across these giant Germans he'd probably have scarpered even quicker than he did from my smaller Germans!

Very nice work on this start to your warband, Mike!

Tamsin

16 comments:

  1. What a surly rabble - exactly as required! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Victrix figures have such a wealth of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking hairy German types Mike.

    I love 'The Mouth' Brian Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Painting any barbarian troops is a total slog, and I'm always impressed by folks who can pull it off. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent hairy barbarians. Every time I see an Ancient German army, i think of that I Claudius clip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking mob of wild warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on the shield transfers- really look great. You could amend the saying "Faces, bases and flags" to "Faces, bases and shields" for ancients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Mike! Why stop at 60? 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's really impressive, wouldn't want to fac3 them accross the field of battle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking warriors Mike. Love the stripy tunic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome looking ancient Germans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete