Tuesday 15 February 2022

From MikeP: The Triumph of Frankenstein (Skaro, Death Star) 80 points


 Hammer Studios, Tamsin's Tuesday Terror Talkies, and MikeP, present:


A dear friend of mine knows that I am inordinately fond of fellow Canadian Bob Murch of Pulp Figures and his sculpts inspired by movies and pulp magazines of the 1930s.   A package arrived at Christmas full of Pulp goodness, including Bob's "Triumph of Frankenstein" set.   What could be a better way to visit Skaro, planet of strange doctors, then in the company of Victor Frankenstein.   So be prepared for a spine-chilling, blood-curdling post.

The figures are terrific in their own right, but I wanted some scenery to suggest Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory so I turned to my 3D printer.   I found a mad scientist's lab set on MyMiniFactory, sold by Print Your Monsters, as well as dungeon floors and tiles from Legend Games.  Not entirely sure what the massive steampunk thingy in the corner does - power source maybe? - but it looks cool as does the workbench with the extra brain in the box!  The walls and floors are primed black and dry brushed with successive layers of three shades of gray craft paint, going from darker to lighter.


Dr. Frankenstein's lab coat is a base coat of Folk Art Dove Gray built up with thinned Folk Art Vintage White.  I resisted the temptation to splatter it with blood.  I prefer the idea of the young scientist with pure (amoral?) intentions who doesn't find himself covered in blood and guilt until much later.    The poor monster is mostly brown undercoat picked out with FolkArt Linen, a very useful colour.  Bob's wonderful lifting table is painted in Folk Art Wrought Iron.  Igor and Viktor are painted using the Foundry Triad system for their flesh.


The "set" measures 4.5" by 4.5" and a little over 4" to the top of the power thingy so it fills a 6" cube.


Hi 

I hope you'll agree that Viktor is a natural for immigration to Skaro.   I hope you'll also agree that his handiwork, the Monster (yes, Bob also sculpted the monster as we know him from movie lore) is a creature of very questionable design, when you consider that he's made of dead body parts, that Viktor's henchman stole The Wrong Brain for the monster, and the monster drive up a pretty high body count.  Also, poor hubristic Viktor, who wanted to master the secrets of life and death,  never even gets a sniff of a Nobel Prize, so it all goes rather badly for him.   Hence, with this big green mini as my ticket, we're off to the Death Star.

Poor Igor, he's about to regret terrorizing the poor monster with fire. 


Bob's sculpt of the monster is a great homage to Boris Karloff




The cast of characters.  This project is the first time I've used clear plastic bases, which I felt went well with the printed and textured floor tiles.  I ordered a mittful of them from Litko, and I'm sure I'll find more uses for them.




This was a fun project to do as a diversion.  It allowed me to discover some of the capabilities of 3D printing for scenery and backgrounds, and was also a restful break from the historical painting that I usually do.  I'm grateful to the Challenge for these opportunities to be creative.

4 X 28mm foot figures @ 5 points ea = 20 pts.

1 6" scenery cube = 20 pts.

Skaro and Death Star @ 20 pts = 40 pts.

Total: 80 pts.

Cheers, and thanks for looking,  MikeP



Mad doctor for Skaro? Yes, Viktor is definitely good for that. His "modern Prometheus" for the Death Star - you've made a good argument for that. 
However, trying to argue that 4.5" x 4.5" x 4" fills a 6" x 6" x 6" terrain cube is a bit of a stretch. If we go down that road, someone (you know we're looking at you, Ray) might try to claim that a 28mm bear is a piece of terrain and counts as a terrain cube. By my reckoning the volume would be 0.375 terrain cubes, so 7.5 points for that.
What I will do is count the various bits and bobs (including the animation table the monster is strapped to) as 2.5 figures, so 12.5 points for those. That way your total points work out the same.

Tamsin

31 comments:

  1. Brilliant little vignette and an inspired use of the clear bases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! I admit I stole the clear bases idea from Curt.

      Delete
  2. Very nice piece of scenery and cast of characters, Mike! The walls and floor are very convincing and the miniatures have a bit of purposeful comic style. I like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu. I was really happy with how the 3D print dungeon tiles turned out, and yes, there is soemthing a little comic about Bob's sculpts, there's no other mini sculptor quite like him, I think.

      Delete
  3. Love these! The vignette is superbly done and The Monster is the perfect shade of green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Sarah. The green is a slight homage to the original 1930s movies posters. I have Bob's Bride of Frankenstein figure as well, she may appear as a guest of your Star Yacht if time permits.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Tamsin. I have five university degrees but can't do understand basic math. I thought the terrain points was "fits in a 6" square cube", not "fills a 6" square cube to capacity". I'm grateful for your guidance and for the extra points. Please spare me the whip.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolute perfect fit for Skaro! You’ve done a terrific job with these figures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you've gone for a classic green on the creature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the right thing to do, as I said to Sarah, green is totally a tribute to the original Karloff movie poster artwork. It's actually the Army Painter Necrotic Flesh with a GW/Citadel green wash, nothing fancy.

      Delete
  7. Great little diorama! Regarding the clear bases... had you considered cutting off the cast-on metal bases and just gluing the models' feet to the clear bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dallas. I had considered that, it's actually suggested by Litko, but I don't have a sturdy enough metal knife or saw and doubt my skills are up to the task.

      Delete
  8. brilliant, do love Pulp Minis - I have some to paint

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just a brilliant vignette, so unusual but so nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I wanted something a little unusual for this year and the pack fit the Strange Doctor theme of Skaro brilliantly. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. Awesome entry I think it's my favourite of the challenge so far! Abby,abby normal, classic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. I don't expect this entry will make the cut as a Choice runner up but your words are so gratifying, thank you.

      Delete
  11. Now that is just brilliant. Love everything about it. 10/10 Mike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ray, I'm so happy that you like it. 10/10, wow.

      Delete
  12. Superb work Mike. I really admire this vignette - so characterful (Bob's stuff is the bomb). You've obviously taken very well to the 3D printer. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt, as soon as I saw the pack, I looked at my printer and said, "you and me, kiddo, let's see what you can do". Glad you like it.

      Delete
  13. It’s alive! Absolutely spiffing vignette Mike. Is there a mad doctor lurking inside the Mad Padre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peter. I'm mad as in eccentric, not mad as in angry (there's enough of that about these days) so yes, maybe. :)

      Delete
  14. Lovely stuff, Padre. I hope you laughed maniacally as you were painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, I may have allowed myself a wee giggle now and then.

      Delete
  15. Amazing themed post - figures and terrain as a brilliant diorama!
    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent vignette, nice atmospheric feel to it and it shows off Mr Murch's figures very nicely. Good paint job, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, my friend, glad you liked it!

      Delete