Sunday 6 February 2022

From GregB - French Zouaves in 28mm for 1870 (122 points)

French Zouaves for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Figures from Wargames Foundry.

Every edition of the Painting Challenge brings forward some kind of unique, cool sub-themes. In this edition, I have loved all of the Zouaves. There have been Papal Zouaves. There have been Beetroot Zouaves (!) How do you top Beetroot Zouaves? Well, I can't...but I can offer my own contribution to the Zouave vibe - here is a unit of French Zouaves for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. These are 28mm metal figures from Wargames Foundry. 

The figures out front are used to denote skirmishers/mixed order on the table.

I just love the Franco-Prussian War setting. The uniforms are just glorious! And among the glorious uniforms, the Zouaves stand supreme! I had been "saving" these figures for years, telling myself that I needed to paint up a suitable amount of "regular" troops and cavalry before "rewarding" my brushes with the chance to paint Zouaves. With those Prussian Dragoons out of the way, I figured the time had come!

You can see some of the nice detail on the packs of the troops in the main formation.

These are based for games of "Black Powder" - 20 figures in the bulk of the unit, and the four individually based figures are used to denote skirmishers, or the unit fighting in a mixed formation. The flag is courtesy of Maverick - the first flags I have found on the market for the French in this period.

The Zouaves bring their deadly Chassepot rifles to bear...

These sculpts (by the Perry brothers) are very nice, although old. But the way Foundry packs these figures is a touch infuriating - the poses are at once consistent and yet many details too varied. For example, some have packs, others don't. Some have turbans, others don't. Some are wearing the "caban", and others are not, and all of this variance is found in a single eight-figure package. So if you are looking for a certain consistency among the figures you might use to make a unit, you can only use a few of them. This is...very annoying. I'm still irritated that they don't all have turbans...but then to do that I would have needed to buy another five packs of the Zouaves...enough is enough!

These sculpts are older, but wow, they are a treat to paint.

Another odd oversight in this old Wargames Foundry range is the lack of a standard bearer in the command pack - this was addressed by using a standard bearer from an ACW Zouave command blister, and a spare French Imperial Eagle standard.

The full unit, ready for the table.

These were a great treat to paint - I love Zouaves! And the best part is that you don't need to go fishing around looking for battles where they participated. The Zouave regiments were stuck in from the outset, and fought very hard for the French Empire (and the subsequent Republic!) against the Prussian forces.

For scoring purposes we have 24 different 28mm figures here, which should be good for 120 points! Thanks for reading - hope to have something more next week!  

________________________


Magnificent work, mon ami! Gosh, I love me a fez almost as much as a czapka. Why don't we wear these today! They are fabulous - just add a set of earflaps for the Canadian winters and we're a go. :)  I'm stoked to see you return to this project as it reminds me of our visit to Les Invalides in 2010, where we spent a wonderful afternoon, slack-jawed, admiring the many exhibits, including those of the FPW. While there may be a little inconsistency in the headgear and accoutrements, these are still glorious figures to behold. I love the punchy reds and blues that you've used for this unit, and I appreciate the extra work you put in for the standard bearer (reflected in a couple extra points). I think that for the next unit that you do, we need an accompanying shot of the army as it stands. 

- Curt


30 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Zouaves, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking Zouaves! It was interesting, for me, to read about the discrepancies in the packaging for these models.As a newcomer, these are things I wouldn’t even think of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Natasha! Yes...many hobby folk have odd hangups (or, maybe it is just me); most normal humans would not even think of these things - and it can go too far the other way too - I'm just as likely to complain about monopose figures as well...it's a fine line, and the sculptors can never please all of us. But that said, these Zouave packs are not at all well-thought-out, even if the sculpts are beauties...

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work Greg. Lots of colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter! Yes, Zouaves are a colourful lot.

      Delete
  4. Lovely colour scheme, I can see why so many participants paint up zouaves as they really do offer something a little different to the painter for whatever period they’re doing (they seem to have been quite busy and so appear in a few eras from what I can tell!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie! Yes, Zouaves are quite the subject, and cut a dashing pose on the gaming table.

      Delete
  5. They look fabulous, Greg! There is no need for despair, as there were three regiments of zouaves besides those of the Imperial Guard, and then there were the Tirailleurs Algériens who wore a very similar uniform. You’ll find a purpose for all those varieties of figures yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are brilliant Greg, so colourful and set off by such superb basing - a really nice job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic looking troops and very well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnificent looking Zouaves, despite the headgear issue. I'm sure the new Perrys range will have a bit more consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart! Yes...when the day comes and the Perrys release Zouave/Turco figures for their new range, I'm sure my credit card will melt...

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Barks! Although once again, no skullz...after Millsy's submission, I don't know I will ever catch up on that one...

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking zouaves, excellent finish and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing work Greg! Gotta love Zouaves! I've really been tempted to start FPW partly due to the zouave uniforms, but trying to resist. Luckily the Turnip28 stuff has partly scratched the itch of wanting to paint up some Zouaves :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! Thanks Samuli - it is always a pleasure to try and tilt others over into a new period or setting. Your Turnip 28 stuff has me wondering a little myself...

      Delete
  12. My goodness, these are nice. I echo what's already been said, the colours and basing are magnifique! Well done.
    How do you top beetroot Zouaves? With sour cream, of course.
    Right I'll get my fez and be going.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful paint job!!!

    ReplyDelete