Sunday 6 February 2022

From Barks: Robo-guard-dogs of the forbidden junkyard (Altair IV)(55 points)

 Here are some Robodoggies from Imitation of Life.

RoboBarks from RealBarks

They needed something to guard, so I set myself to making lengths of chain fencing. My first idea was to use spare 20x100mm bases from Renedra. I also thought I could refashion the sprues as the posts. Here's my first frustrating attempt:

1mm rod to pin the joins
Then! I recalled I own a 3D printer. I bodged some simple shapes together on TinkerCAD, an elementary browser-based 3D program.
I'm a 3D sculptor now!
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V
A couple of hours later I had all the fence posts I would need. Much easier than making them from sprue... The top arms were a bit long so I cut them to size. I made some corner bases from plasticard. I cut some aluminium mesh, and secured it with twists of wire. This was fiddly. Then I PVA'd some grit, and sprayed the whole thing grey. I slapped on some browns and orange, and finished the basework. Voilà!

Ready for spray

Eight 2x10cm lengths

I made one with a hole

Four corners

16x16"

Exactly approximately half a terrain cube

I think I should make a gate. Maybe some signs which could be swapped out depending on the game I am playing.

4x 28mm figures: 20 points

0.5x terrain cube: 10 points

Location bonus (Altair IV): 20 points

Slowpainter's ABC: G is for Guard dog


__________________________________

'Voila' indeed! Lovely work Barks! While the robo-dogs are very nice (especially as one wouldn't have to stock poo-bags for these mutts), I have to say that I'm quite taken with your 3d efforts in making a chain-link pen for them. Wow, colour me impressed - cracking work! I'm going to give another 5 bonus points for the 'Gee whiz, Willikers, that's pretty swell' factor. :)

- Curt

34 comments:

  1. Grand bit of creativity Barks . Came out well

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of a 3D printer. This is certainly the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not really foolproof yet, but give them time.

      Delete
  3. Excellemt work on both the cyber doggos and the fence. You really should do a gate though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may require me to be more cleverer…

      Delete
  4. That fence is a great piece of work! The robodogs are quite nice as well, but the creativity in the diy is very inspiring! Please do a gate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's clever, well done Barks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice doggoes and neat work on the fences! Are you sure you have enough though? I'm sure you could use several more straights to give you a larger compound, maybe some more corners as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the doggoes and fence is bril, admire your creativity, extra points well deserved.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice puppies… good puppies…
    Excellent innovation with the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea, scenery to match the figures is a stroke of genius and they’ve come out brilliantly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie, it was a matter of good timing.

      Delete
  10. As others have said, the terrain is a great addition to the cyber-hounds. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking fencing and robo dogs! I think I'd stick to sprues to build my gate if I were you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Static or opening? Two gates or one? So many design choices!

      Delete
  12. Awesome job on all fronts Barks! I've yet to try my hand at 3d sculpting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has been the simplest polygons only.

      Delete
  13. That's very effective fencing Barks.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! I can use it for moderns as well.

      Delete
  14. No distracting those doggos with a milk bone or liver treat. Great work and love the fencing. FYI, did you read this?
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/04/us-tests-of-robotic-patrol-dogs-on-mexican-border-prompt-outcry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not. Torn from the headlines of tomorrow!

      Delete
  15. Great work Barks. All those hours on terrain...I shudder, and am also very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, though, when your beautifully painted toys are fighting over uninspiring terrain!

      Delete
  16. Good work Barks, very nice dogs, who now have something to guard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to chomp on the 41st millennium mailman.

      Delete