Sunday 6 February 2022

From KerryT - "There be dragons...." or P is for Parliament (250 points and Squirrel 6)

 There be Dragons down by the river...

Nobody was quite sure how it all happened that day in the village of Overbythere.  The village alderman was certainly red faced when the true story emerged. The villagers had just grabbed what they could and ran for their lives - they were after all and uneducated and superstitious, who could blame them.

It all started when little Johnny Bumpkin came tearing over the bridge, running full pelt and so out of breath screaming for all he was worth "Quick there be Dragons, there be dragons coming down the road by the river"


There are of course a number of possible explanations, he was uneducated after all, his speech impediment didn't help and neither did the fact that the first person to hear his cry of alarm, his deaf old Nan who kept shouting out loud the bad news for all to hear. So the whole village just ran, and ran and ran....

Dragons? Can you blame them? Why Dragons, they be dangerous and are mystical and all....



Hold on to those damn horses called Colonel James Wardlowe to the men of his regiment of Dragoons.

He was expecting to be collect provisions here having agreed this beforehand, but why was the village  deserted?....... hopefully the villagers had not been chased off by those damned Royalist infantry and his stores plundered? Surely not


Dig those heel in, whoa..

These are of course Dragoons and not Dragons but hell its a different way to start a post other than with my usual  "Good Morning, Afternoon & Evening all"


These are my P is for Parliament entry and this is the first unit in my Parliamentarian Army - Colonel James Wardlowe's Dragoons, ECW figures by Bicorne Miniatures


Unfortunately I left it a bit late to order the guidons and am also 3 mounted dragoons short, but then again that will give me an excuse to buy more!


Bicorne Miniatures really are nice to paint with good raised detail and I like the variation of poses provided in the dismounted dragoon offerings

There is one dead figure from First Corps in this unit



A bit closer, they'd look better with a guidon 

 
Here's the customary horse's arse




This now gives me my 6th Squirrel and means I'm now half way through my 12 Ps.

By my calculations that's 20 foot figures at 5 points, 14 Mounted @ 10 points and 1 spare horse totalling 245 points though I expect to be severely admonished and fined 240 of those points for an awful pun or play on words! 

_____________________________________

Perhaps an awful play on words, Kerry, but the eye-candy more than makes up for it. They really do look superb, especially when featured amongst your lovely terrain. I particularly like the horse-holder stands with the skittish horses - wonderful little vignettes, those (for which I've added a few more points). More please. :)

- Curt



28 comments:

  1. Your terrain sets your scene so beautifully. It is so easy to get pulled right into the time. Terrific work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, a few years ago I decided I would try and have figure bases and terrain to match and as I game at home solo its been relatively easy to do

      Delete
  2. Really nice unit and it looks wonderful on table. I’m with Curt of the householders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, Bicorne have produced some great models

      Delete
  3. They are great, I love the blue uniforms and your painting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - believe it or not this is VJ Field Blue and VJ Lufftwaffe WW2 uniform!

      Delete
  4. Cheers Curt, I just couldn't resist, there's been so much lovely fantasy stuff in the challenge so far that I regret not planning to do some so Dragoons are the nearest I'll get and is my attempt to join in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab, wish they were dragons though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Martin, the brilliant fantasy stuff that others have posted here makes me want to revisit my old GW stuff and Dragons would be so cool

      Delete
  6. Wonderful painting and photography! I love me some ECW and yours are top notch. I like that the horse holders are on a round base; it marks them out distinctly from the fighting men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CS, the round bases are actually coasters from a DIY store, my other Warbases round bases were too small!

      Delete
  7. Great looking bunch of dragons. I like the variety in uniforms and horses you have used. Each model looks like an individual, but together they look like a regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, minor variations do help with the monotony but the credit for variation should really go to Bocorne for the wide variation in the Dragoon sculpts they sell

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Cheers Barks - after seeing your martian with the jezzail I think something is missing now!

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking dragoons, love the vignette and the basing is excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - my technique is pretty simple though - Sand and Grit, VJ Flat Earth Dry brush VJ Iraqui sand, then Pale sand and a flock mix then the odd tuft

      Delete
  10. Great unit. Good to see Dragoon units created both Mounted & on Foot with the essential Horse Holders in evidence - often forgotten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the figures are so engaging they were a must have and also provide variation

      Delete
  11. Very fine looking troops and love the scenery!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Christopher, that's kind but I wish I could match your efforts having just looked at your recent entry!

      Delete
  12. Great job Kerry. Another tempting period...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes and I forgot about those Zouaves too

      Delete
  13. Thanks Greg, if your tempting me with your 40K stuff its only fair I should be tempting you with stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice Kerry! I love the way people tell stories with miniatures, great action shots here of beautifully painted miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darn, I was hoping to see dragons, but I'll settle for some beautifully painted dragoons. Great work, Kerry, the brushwork on the horses is particularly fine and the figures are top notch. The scenery is unbeatable.
    Minions, here's another entry worth rewarding.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete