Tuesday 1 February 2022

From SarahHC: Lilly, the Glamourous Society Dame (25 Points)

Hey Everyone!

This week I had planned to paint terrain, however, the terrain which magically appeared in my paint nook was a turnip field. The Snowlord would not permit me a creative colour palette, the intent was for me to match with his previously painted fields. Boring!! (Well, I tried... Ed.) Instead, I chose to paint another 28mm figure as a gaming piece for a pulp adventure.


This model appeared awhile ago in my painting nook and had already been primed and based by Curt. Provenance unknown to me.

I was annoyed at trying to paint her shoes as they are more cement block than footwear. The base was going to be changed out to a clear one and I knew I’d have to do touch ups.
Despite all this, I feel that I’m getting the hang of painting 28mm. With Lilly, I was inspired by the super fancy GreenStuff World colour shift paints that Curt had acquired recently. My paint skillz have improved enough that he trusts me with these treasures, and I was even allowed to use his most coveted 35yr old paint pot of Citadel Shining Gold!

I wanted Lilly to really “shimmer”, she is a glamorous society dame, dancing from one charity function to another all the while listening for gossip and juicy tidbits. One never knows what information might come in handy. I quite like her pose. Obviously Lilly has just had her bottom pinched, and she’s deciding whether to be outraged or flattered …



The GreenStuff World colourshift paints are magical, the colours really do seem to dance! I used Nebula Copper on her dress, with Burning Gold at the hem, neckline, shoulder straps … hopefully creating a sort of ombré effect. The rosette and flouncy ruffles were painted in Citadel colour contrast Plaguebearer Flesh, and highlighted with Curt’s ‘Very Special Citadel Shining Gold paint pot, circa 1986’. ( his words, not mine….)


Lilly has accessorized in Terradon Turquoise wrist cuffs, earrings and shoes. I kept her hair-colour relatively simple gunmetal with dry brush of Vallejo Steel, emphasizing the finger waves with a touch of Nuln Oil. (Little known fact about our benevolent Snowlord: Many years ago, when I met him, he worked as a hair dresser in a fancy salon, and so was not shy to express his opinions about Lilly’s hair do. 🤷‍♀️) (No comment. Ed.)


Points wise? 1 x28mm figure for 5 points. I will also use Lilly as a ticket to summon the Star Yacht to whisk me away to the planet of Istvaan V, so another 20 points for that. Wow! I'm already well over my original 100 point target, so I think I will increase my target to 250 points. Wish me luck!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

- Sarah


I can't say that I blame you, opting to paint this instead of trying to match Curt's previously-painted turnip fields. I haven't tried colour-shifting paints on 28mm figures before, but it looks as though it works well for shimmery dresses - I'll have to remember to give it a try for some of my Pulp ladies.

By the way, we all want to know how the chocolate cakes that you and Tasha had to bake for each other were, hopefully with photos of the cakes and you sharing them!

Tamsin

27 comments:

  1. Hey Tamsin
    Don’t worry, the chocolate cake duel has been resolved and the baking shall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean that they haven't been baked and shared yet? At least now you know to take photos - if we can't share the cakes, we can at least share in the sight of them! :)

      Delete
    2. I have made a ‘test’ cake … a butter pecan layer cake. Successfully, I may add.
      There are some logistics to sort out re: the Bake Off, but there will be a post 😘

      Delete
  2. Great job, Sarah! I bought some of color shifting paints as well, and intend to use them on a least one figure during the challenge. Did you need to paint more than one layer to get the full color shift effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Forest!
      One coat of the colour shift paint, but I did do touchups before I started with highlights.
      But don’t take my word on that, ‘cause I’m sooo new to mini painting😊

      Delete
  3. Turnip fields? He gave you turnip fields? Lily is a much better choice, love the shimmer on her frock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I was hoping for a cute cottage or a wizards tower …. Le Sigh 😞

      Delete
  4. Smashing colour combination, it really works. I’ve never really thought about metallics for dresses but it definitely works and I shall add it to my list of things to try!

    And turnip fields? Wow. I’ll bet the shining gold use was an apology following that offering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah:
    Your society dame is quite lovely, she has a Barbara Stanwyck quality to her, sassy, tough, funny no smart. Much prefer her to a turnip field. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike
      Yes, the Dame is quite the character. I’m thrilled that all the shiney colours turned out so well.
      I can see the Barbara Stanwyck vibe too … Double Indemnity is Stanwyck at her most glorious 😊

      Delete
  6. Sarah - fantastic painting, but more importantly (yes, even more important than fantastic painting), I salute your rejection of painting terrain! That is the proper spirit. No colour palette can make painting a field of turnips rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she's lovely but I am massively distracted by having a haircut by the Snowlord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that this can be arranged….

      Delete
    2. Martin, haircuts for both you and I are now five minute affairs with the clippers set on '1'. Still, once that was done a trip to the pub to show off the new 'dew would be wonderful.

      Delete
  8. Great looking flapper,love the shimmer effect, I have to admit to having an equally old pot of Citadel gold (and a reserve!)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx, I’m really pleased with the shimmer

      Delete
  9. Good looking lady, Sarah! But remember, this is a Challenge, not a joyride. ;) But of course it doesn't mean you have to do what Cury asks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's a stunner, Sarah! Much better looking than a turnip field

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my defense, Sarah asked for a terrain piece to work on, and the turnip field was close to hand. Besides, somebody told me that turnips are good for you... Now that she'd played with all these pretty paints I'll never get that damn field done. Harumph!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on the persevering with 28mm, a great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hsha!
      I have a 54mm in tge 3D printer queue

      Delete
  13. I’m keen to give these colour shifts a go.

    A lot of people dislike painting shoes, and they are often poorly sculpted!

    ReplyDelete