Tuesday 1 February 2022

From TashaH: Quite Literally A Plague Doctor (Vogsphere) (35 points)



When Tamsin dropped me off on Vogsphere, I started thinking what I could paint for Sarah’s Star Yacht to get me off the planet, as I had nothing to fit the criteria. My 3D printer has chosen not to work, so that was not an option. 

Then, I started thinking. That can be a dangerous thing!!

This Plague Doctor figure is from WizKids. Now, how on earth does it fit into this planet? Well…


 

Plague Doctors are most associated with the Black Death (even though this is a historical inaccuracy). 

...Plague doctors practiced bloodletting and other remedies such as putting frogs on the buboes "rebalancing the humors" as a normal routine...

- so there you have it, 'Black Humor'. 



 

I'm pretty sure I've met the challenge for this planet by being incredibly literal and, if not, we can discuss the bureaucracy surrounding Plague Doctors. (but ugh!)

This miniature really challenged me. I struggled a lot with it. I'm happy it is done and on the shelf.

28 mm figure: 5 points

Planet bonus: 20 points

Maelstrom bonus: 10 points

Total: 35 points

 

Off to Corsucant...


It's a bit of a stretch, but I'll allow it (I have to really, as we did discuss it earlier today!). Black isn't the easiest colour to pull off, and I must say that you've done a good job of it for a novice figure painter. 35 points it is!

Tamsin

ps I added the labels for you!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you Tamsin! I appreciate your leniency (and for adding my labels!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent Natasha. I've always 'liked' the creepiness of how plague doctors looked, with their odd, beaked masks and chilling opaque eyes, so I think your rendition is spot on. I especially admire the mysterious green serum he has in his syringe and the hue of his leathers. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! I’d certainly be asking questions about the green serum!

      Delete
  3. I really should add some plague doctors to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent entry, I think you did a grand job Tasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of black, but you have done it nicely - lots of reflections and different shades to break the black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I think it will be a long while before I venture back to painting something black again!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant job on this one Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking plague doctor!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a magnificent black doctor! I would be a bit worried about the sword, though. Great job Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, doctors with swords are the most intimidating sort!

      Delete