Thursday 29 December 2022

From Curt: Snobs for Turnip28 (40 Points)

For my third post I'm going to officially kick-off my Turnip28 project. I'm feeling a bit harried as both Paul and Alan are stealing marches on me! :) I imagine this flight of fancy will consume a good portion of my submissions this season as I wish to get two playable forces completed, if possible.

Turnip28 is a very, very odd dystopian setting; a war-torn world gone mad through the infestation of symbiotic, sentient root vegetables. It's all about turnips, really. Aesthetically, it's a mashup of several historical periods; medieval, Renaissance, Napoleonic, and just a smattering of the Great War to keep it grim and dirty. In Turnip28, opposing forces battle each other over long forgotten grievances, contesting useless objectives, and simply knocking the stuffing out of each other. It's a new player in the GrimDark oeuvre of games.

The rules are pretty hilarious, filled with loads of character, horror and humour.  In terms of figure-overhead, it can be defined as a large skirmish game, probably similar to 'Pikeman's Lament' in scale. In its base form its figure count runs around 30+ models per side. Written by the folks behind 'One Page Rules', Turnip28 is easy to understand, simple to play, while still having enough nuance to keep things interesting..

Over the next few months I'm going to try to complete as many of the game's troop types as I can manage. 

Okay, first up: the commanders! In Turnip28, forces are led by 'Snobs', an overarching term for the game's officer class. Think of the many vacuous, dim-witted, upper-echelon idiots that have controlled European armies over the past millennia and you have a good idea of what we're looking at here.

In the game, 'Snobs' are of two types. First, there are the 'Toffs', the upper-crust half-wits who run the whole show. Players will typically have one Toff as the overall commander of their force. 

I've based my Toffs on hexagonal bases and their Toadies are on square ones for easy identification on the tabletop. I'm thinking I will have one side with red facings (The Rutabaga Brigade), while the other will be yellow (The Fighting Fennel Fusiliers). 

Secondly, we have the 'Toadies'the Toffs' boot-licking underlings, who obsequiously do their better's bidding. The Toadies are the game's subcommanders, tasked with chivying along their reluctant, nervous troops, trying to ensure that they follow the orders given to them and trying to mitigate the disasters that will inevitably come. 

For these Snobs I've relied heavily on 3d models from Knucklebones Miniatures. Such characterful figures and brilliant digital design. I've  embellished them a bit, mostly with head swaps, along with adding some of the ubiquitous flora that infests the world of Turnip28.


Though I really like how other hobbyists have used a desaturated palette and a heavy use of weathering of their Turnip troops, I've decided to keep my figures 'merely' dirty, with a punchy colour palette. Heretical I know, but we'll see how it goes as the project clips along.

Finally, for a cavalry officer, I found a wonderful digital sculpt by 'Romychbrush' in Cults of a Snob on a run-down, wheeled hobby horse. 

I decided it would be fun to have the officer and his brave steed being pulled along by his long-suffering batman. Really, this is the stuff that glory is made of.


A final group shot of the Snobs.

This sorry bunch of tubers will give me 40 points to add to my total. It will also give me my opening volley in the Turnip28 Duel. Woo Hoo!

Next up for this project will be the rank and file, but right now I have a hankering to do-up something for 'Historical Drama'. More on that soon, I hope. 

Thanks for popping in for a look, folks!

- Curt

49 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff, Curt. I'm just waiting on the 'official' Turnip28 Kickstarter to finish and then plan on getting my own forces printed/painted up. Yours are truly inspirational, and I'll be hunting down that hobby horse cavalry officer STL when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I really need to squeek into that Kickstarter as the models look terrific.

      Delete
  2. Looks a fun and crazy project Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do look great, looking forwards to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul! Hopefully I can get some traction with getting some more done.

      Delete
  4. It's difficult to say what are thse, but the painting i so goooood! Impressive at first sught

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito, it's all a bit odd, I know.

      Delete
  5. These look great, I'm soo tempted, especially as I have all those freebie sprues from WI taking up space in my bits box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a whirl Peter and see what you come up with!

      Delete
  6. Totally new to me, but great post and painting. Excellent veggies for games. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent looking figures, Curt. The additional tufts on the bases and elsewhere add a lot of visual interest to some already wacky figures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very colourful and lots of character. I look forward to getting my but kicked by a rutabaga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. I hear it's the parsnips you have to look out for.

      Delete
  9. I hadnt heard of this Turnip28 before this season of painting from you lot, and seeing some of the entries now put up, I have backed his recent KS to get in on the fun! Let's see what comes of it, and then come back to posts like these for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd like to see what you can do with this setting, Kyle. I think you'd get a kick out of it.

      Delete
  10. Completely nuts, but loving the turnips craziness!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a bit silly, but anything that keeps the brushes twirling is a good thing.

      Delete
  11. Never thought I would be so thrilled by a walking grocery store, Curt, but these are fantastic. The painting is immaculate as always, but I am amazed by your creativity with this. The cavalry vignette is hilarious! Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you very much Martijn. I'm delighted you like them.

      Delete
  12. Now I have greater understanding as to what a turnip really is. Become one with the turnip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you've captured the essence of it, Robert. :)

      Delete
  13. Great to see T28 bringing in more adherents. The pink hobby horse is inspired and this is as fine a group of snobs as I've seen. Un beetable. One of the things I like about T28 is that everyone's a bit crap - and occasionally they get eaten by the terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the hungry terrain. Un beetable. Very droll, sir.

      Delete
  14. Never would I have thought that the lowly root vegetable would be an inspiration on the painting desk .... strangely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think I can look at a radish again without thinking of how I could use it in the game.

      Delete
  15. Bravo Sir, Bravo! I am prepping a return salvo of tempestuous tubers even now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to receive your fire, sire. Remember to take the radishes out of your gun barrels.

      Delete
  16. What's this? Curt embarking on another bonkers game project during the Challenge? I guess that the good Lady Sarah has resigned herself to your lunacy after all these years. ;)

    Smashing work on these bizarre figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you called it. Completely bonkers, I admit it.

      Delete
  17. Oh now these are lovely! I do like the cleaner style compared to the muddy style I’ve mostly seen for this stuff, really makes them pop. The background is absolutely bonkers from what I can see and these look perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Yes, I like what they're going for with the muddy aesthetic, but I find it would all sort of disappear on the tabletop. Great to have you visit!

      Delete
  18. That is just so clever in composition even if it is weird, and the painting is superb

    ReplyDelete
  19. I somehow missed these until now! Wonderful stuff Curt - and a great riposte to my first attack in the duel. I love the hobby horse - just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I'm really enjoying seeing our projects move forward.

      Delete
  20. Hah, trust you to take a barmy project in a whole new direction. Love these snobs, can’t wait to see more

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Monty Python-esque officer!

    ReplyDelete