Thursday 29 December 2022

From TomG - Festive Tiger Challenge Tiger II - 25 pts

 Oi oi!

Some of you may have seen on Twitter, that a few of us had set a challenge to build and paint a Tiger II, between the 21st and 31st December, and I picked this delightful Rubicon Models Konigstiger without zimmerit, for my entry. However little did I know just what a challenge it would be! 



First off, you may be able to notice some parts missing, namely the front light, bow machinegun and a number of turret tracks, well I can assure you that at one point all of these parts were attached, but due to some uncooperative glue and a catastrophic drop during priming, all of these parts went to the Great Parts Monster on the floor!




But, undeterred I channeled my festive spirit and ploughed on, only to be hit by set back number 2; painting late at night causes mistakes! Having airbrushed the camo patterns on, with some issues due to being picky, I realised I had varnished the model without painting the tools, applied the decals or even set a filter/wash in the recesses. What more could go wrong? 




Nothing, at this point I was left dejected and filled with the despair that follows those who habitually refuse to learn from their mistakes...

But wait, what's this?

In the distance a light, the sound of sleigh bells, a jolly fat man cometh! 

Ding dong merrily on high, it was Tiger Claus (see what I did there) and he had brought me just enough festive cheer to complete this challenge! With brush in hand I forged on, first we applied the decals, then we smashed out the tools finished with some all over weathering, including a stab at adding mud and grass to the tracks and hull.




Challenge complete, tears shed, but now the mightiest of mighty cats was ready to join the throng; no longer will the other 1/56 WW2 tanks in my German force feel scared at night, for the King has arrived. I struggled to enjoy the process of completing this model, but only due to my own mistakes, however once it was finished, I can safely say I was proud to take these photos and share them with you all. 

Tank you for reading this post, and I hope you enjoy the fruits of my festive labour. 


Points - 

28mm Vehicle - 20pts

Tom

______________________________

Wow, that's a beast, to be sure. I must say, you recovered marvellously from your hobby mishap, Tom, as this big cat really looks excellent. A big Hooray for Christmas Cheer, I say! I particularly admire its camo and weathering. One would never think that it had suffered from a tragic spill. In fact you could truly call this a 'recovery tank'. Well done!

I'm going to add a few more points for your sterling efforts in getting this beast back on its paws.

- Curt


24 comments:

  1. That’s a great looking big cat. I’d never know that bits were missing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I ended up putting a large blob of weathering over the spot where the light had come off 😆

      Delete
  2. Great kitty. I’ve seen the challenge on Twitter and your cat is up there with the best. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruce, that really means a lot. It was a great challenge to join in with, and one I'll happily do again.

      Delete
  3. Good looking cat! Difficult to see the problems you had from the finished model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw what you did there! A wonderful Tiger, great paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beast! Great work on the camo and the mud is spot on. Persistence paid off on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't notice any missing bits but did notice an amazing paint job - that camo is awesome - nice airbrush twirling indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pete, I stressed so much over it.

      Delete
  7. Great painting work and excellent realistic weathering

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, Tom. It's a beast, for sure, but it also really looks the part. Had you not have mentioned, I'd have thought it had gone together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sidney, I did contemplate just posting it without the back story, but I knew there was no better place to be honest and share all sides of the hobby, than with like minded hobbyists.

      Delete
  9. Great looking camo and weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've definitely had projects where everything has conspired against me, well done for pushing through, well worth the effort

    ReplyDelete