Wednesday 21 December 2022

From LeeH - "HO-HO-HO" [5 pts]

Well, that nine months shot past in a blur and here we are again for Challenge XIII. As is my tradition I am kicking off my painting campaign with an alternative Santa...or in this case Hogfather. Terry Pratchett's Discworld is full of memorable characters but none made me laugh as much as Death. And when Death stepped in and donned the outfit of the Hogfather some of the best humor ensued. So when I saw this model I had to buy it and put it aside for the Painting Challenge. 

“IT'S THE EXPRESSION ON THEIR LITTLE FACES I LIKE." said the Hogfather.

"You mean sort of fear and awe and not knowing whether to laugh, cry or wet their pants?"

"YES. NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL BELIEF.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather


I have a few days off work before the holiday and that means lots of painting... Actually, it means multiple bursts of activity in the hobby room in between other seasonal-related chores. Keep the wife happy and everything else falls into place! I was up early today and got cracking on this model but I have also been making up the first set of flags for my 6mm Wars of the Roses project. With a bit of luck, a following wind, coordinated with the wife's afternoon nap, and I may get some paint on those as well before the day is out.

Best of luck to everyone taking part this year and thank you once again to Curt (and Lady Sarah of course) for hosting this madness for the thirteenth year. Now that's what I call having an understanding wife! 


___________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge Lee! I love your Death/Hogfather, especially the grim little gifts that he's toting. I think if I saw him I'd be in the latter group for 'joyous response'.  :)

Now that you're on the scoreboard you can rest easy and go back to keep the missus happy during this busy time of the season. Have a good one, mate!

- Curt

20 comments:

  1. Splendid figure, Lee! That is a wonderful sculpt and painted very nicely! I love the teddy bear he is about to deliver! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great model and painting, Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great figure, well done. Terry Pratchett is brilliant! A fine start to your Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice - love the teddy bear skeleton - do you think that's what they look like after we harvest their fur for our game mats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spousal naps are one of the key elements in maintaining painting output. I suggest making the sofa/armchair as comfortable and inviting as possible to encourage this behaviour.
    The Hogfather looks just how I pictured him from the books, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hogfather is brilliant Lee, but you are going to tell me that you have Albert the Elf and Death of Rats in the cue somewhere too, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great start, well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and festive start Lee! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendidly grim Hogfather, I read it so long ago I can't remember it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very holiday start. Great effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry Pratchett - a true genius, sorely missed. Nice Hogfather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EXCELLENT WORK. GNU Sir Pterry!

    ReplyDelete