Wednesday 21 December 2022

From Curt: Welcome to Challenge XIII - Film Crew from the Golden Age of Cinema (25 Points)

Hello and welcome to the 13th edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge!!

As tradition dictates, I kick off the Challenge with our first entry, and to break the ice I thought I'd try to hit two-birds-with-one-stone. To fulfil the 'Under Construction' location, I decided to dig up an old set of figures that have been sitting, half done, on my desk for the past several years. In addition, with them being a film crew, I thought they would be a nice fit for the movie magic theme of this year's Challenge.

Years ago I came up with a simple set of rules to (ahem) set the stage for madcap stunts and the off-the-cuff storytelling found behind the scenes of a movie set during the Golden Age of Cinema.

The rules challenge players to attain ‘Top Billing’ status by either having the most Fame Points by the end of shooting, or by simply being the last character to still be left standing on the movie set. The actors with the top Fame scores at the end of the shoot will have Top Billing on the movie playbill, and be able to bask in cinematic glory - perhaps having a shot at an Academy Award for their unscrupulous efforts.

A 'scene' from our Sword & Sandals game (note the 1.0 version of the film crew)


Previous victims, er, players of a 'Top Billing' game

...and their hard-earned Academy Awards!

The rub is that the actors are often forced to spend their Fame to gain the Director's attention, and so foil the plans of competing actors. With this, the actors have to strike a balance between protecting their accrued Fame while also spending it wisely it to seize the moment in order to burnish their reputations. 


For example, any player/actor can interrupt the action of another by demanding a 'screen re-write'. These re-writes can range from (but are not limited to) choreographing a complex stunt, constructing a scene where another actor looks the fool, or perhaps seizing the camera crew to get a closeup as they give a pithy line of dialogue. 



These 're-writes' are entirely up to the imaginations of the players and always create a huge amount of good-natured fun. In addition each screen re-write can be challenged by another star sparking 'Ego Trips' where the contesting stars bid-up their Fame points to try to convince the Director (GM) why their approach to the scene should be favoured. It's all good, silly fun.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. This film crew is offered by the talented folks over at Eureka Miniatures.  They are a wonderful set of minis, and a real joy to work with. Now I just need to get Byron to make me an acrylic 'field of view' template to fit the round base and I'll be set... 

Only the 'clapper' fella will be scored for this entry, as he was the final mini that needed to be done to finish the set.

So, we have 5 for the 'clapper', along with another 20 bonus points for the 'Under Construction' location = 25 points! I'm on the board and in first place no less. ;) We'll see how long that lasts...


Next, I think some pulpy fun is needed so I'm going to take the road south to check out the film set for Hight Adventure. Wish me luck!


Now, let's get this show on the road, folks! I look forward to the floodgates opening, with your entries rolling in sharp-quick. Remember that from now until January 1st is 'free-fire' submission, meaning you can submit entries whenever you want, so take advantage of the holiday season to kick-off your own Challenge.

Happy holidays everybody and Welcome to Challenge XIII!

- Curt 

49 comments:

  1. And…. We are go! An excellent start, Curt. Great figures and great painting, as always. All the best in the few hectic days to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn! I'm looking forward to the next few days as the beginning entries start rolling in. Have a lovely holiday season!

      Delete
  2. Nice entry and opening post, Curt! Looking forward to see more what you and others paint during the next three months. I need to paint something to get back into the TOP-3... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu and I look forward to seeing what first emerges from your paint desk.

      Delete
  3. Damn, that is fast it is 8am here, I have just had my first coffee and not thought about completing a half done miniature as my first entry …. Well I know what I will be completing first!

    All the best everyone see you on set!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put down your coffee and croissant and get a wiggle on, Matt!

      Delete
  4. Love the new figure to complete the diorama - JezT Maybe that 20's era Director would be a good fit for my AVBCW period - directing an anti tank gun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, he'd make an excellent (and vocal) artillery observer. :)

      Delete
  5. Perfect 1st entry. Now do I have time to paint some stuff before I go away for Christmas week. Probably

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Curt. It is 3:40 AM here in Montreal and I have just finished adding some paint to an unfinished project, but still nowhere near complete. I doubt I will have my first entry ready before Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid first entry, excellent finish and interesting sounding set of rules!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules need something to reflect the antics of the Art Director. :)

      Delete
  8. As usual a superb first entry, marking the parting shot of the competition. Really nice. Excited to see what the other challengers have in store. In my case I won't be able to post before the weekend probably

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito! I know you and your family really roll out the red carpet this time of year, so take it easy, enjoy yourself, and catch up with us in your overindulged afterglow. :)

      Delete
  9. An awesome opening to this year's Challenge Curt encroyable! The Eureka Mini's are a great choice and the painting superb as always. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn, that's a fantastic opening post for this year's Challenge! Great stuff, Curt - the game sounds like a right laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin! Yes, the game a nice light bit of fluff for cold winter nights.

      Delete
  11. A fantastic opening gambit for this year's challenge - love the game concept too. I will be a little slow of the block this year as my son has his Masters degree graduation ceremony scheduled for today (Dec 21) and I have prioritized that over painting today. I realize that is a controversial decision but it just felt right. Good Luck to everyone participating this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miles and congratulations on your son's achievement! Have a great day of it!

      Delete
  12. Grand opening, Curt! The film crew is wonderful, and the goofy game you devised sounds wonderful! It does make me reminisce of the shennanigans and devious role playing from the Paranoia game with less violence. I quite like the musketeer minis too. Makes me nostalgic for the Oliver Reed and Michael York movies.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE those movies! Nonetheless, I just saw a trailer for a French remake that looks quite promising. Might be hard to do without Raquel...

      Delete
  13. Great work Curt and a fine start for the Challenge. It was a fun game and my Oscar has a place of pride on our shelves.

    I’m ready for my close up Mr Demille.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice first entry Curt and a cool sounding little offbeat game idea. Now its time for me to get painting, cya later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see a post from you soon, Byron!

      Delete
  15. An excellent opening Curt as we share well below zero winter temperatures and more snow. Time to paint. As a friend used to say as he rolled for his attack "get some"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a nice cozy place to keep warm and paint, Bruce. I'll look for you in the draft list. :)

      Delete
  16. Very nice! I love the Top Billing concept

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work mate! I especially like the fine detail on the sweater and the clapper. A great opener for 2022

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy! It's good to be out of the starting gate, for sure.

      Delete
  18. I love your novel idea for a game, you should copyright that before a rival challe... er... film studio steals your concept and does a straight-to-video knock-off version.

    Great looking figures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rascals! I'll have to contact my agent, smart-quick. :)

      Delete
  19. What a great start to filming the action at the AHPC XIII Studios!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The game needs to be a published! So much fun. Love the camera crew - a fitting start to Challenge XIII.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice start, Curt! You need the pink shorts guy from A New Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A perfect start to the Challenge Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fine launching pad Curt, well done!

    ReplyDelete