Wednesday 8 February 2023

From KyleC - Star Wars Legion - (335 Points)


A quick shot of what is now a full listed playable force for Star Wars Legions. Had some feedback online but also realized that just cause a box of models appears, does not mean all the models can be used... Which is sad.. but also lessons learned! 

But some close ups of bits I have painted this past week, although not as many as in the past due to having a nice night out with the Mrs to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary and 20 years together. 

So apologies in advance for not a massive paint bomb like normal here 😏😅

But I did focus a lot on some Star Wars models as I might have done some therapy shopping as of late. 

So one of the best duos happening right now being Cassian and K-2SO. Partially due to the success of Andor but also from the Rogue One movie where the bot shows his chops. Really like the fact that they are true rebels at heart even if they don't want to be.. 

Though need an iconic duo to go with them so.. 

Who better than Han and Chewbacca. We all know who shot first but doesn't matter as he can be gone in 12 parsecs if needed.. 

This batch I bought cause I like the models but then found out that they are just unit upgrades more than a specific unit. Personal upgrades to add flair and options to a unit. No idea how I will use them but I had a blast figuring out how to paint them. Espeitthe dark droid in the back there as it and K-2SO were experiments in different metallic styles. 

These commandos were the first departure from the browns and I began to really lean into the ragtag colouring. Something I normally loath when painting an army but for the rebels I believe it fits all the more for them. 

Rebel Pathfinders. Bought more out of wanting the cards so that I could print more variety for them later but I ended up liking the Bistan with his heavy gun more than I anticipated. Though I struggled a bit with the colors here and am still not fully sold on the blue jackets. 

Veterans. Every force needs some veterans and again I bought these more for their cards than the models. As they are in extreme weather gear for Hoth it doesn't really fit the theme here... But I have found a nice scheme if/when I do get around to painting such a side force there.. 

The bigger Veteran unit. One that I printed and of course didn't place on official sized bases. But for friendlies I have been told they are fine. Better fitting style and colors to my original troopers though so I suspect they will see some heavy game play. 

More printed bits here. Not sure what they are to be or could be used for. Likely can be basic troopers for again extreme weather after escaping a down fighter or transport perhaps? 

And then a trio of random troopers. Possibly from a desert planet perhaps hence the cloth wraps over the heads. But I do really like the white style I was able to begin to achieve overall. A simple white primer with a heavy coating of Contrast Apothecary White helped to achieve this followed by a quick dry brush of Pallid Wych Flesh by GW. And maybe a dot of white in the end. Really enjoyed these ones though but again no idea if they are game playable.. but maybe they will be ransoms or just background models then. 

So a heafty 44 models and 2 artillery pieces here. 

But wait.. there's more! I couldn't post this last week as it was a surprise for our DnD game that we had on Sunday.. 

Having most of the models painted in the last week's being used.. we also gifted the DM with his own dice tower! 


Although 3d printed, I did not print it this time.. shocking I know.. but one of the other lads in the game, and a good friend to the DM, did it up on his work printer. And then I offered to give it a once over for painting. This thing is quite huge standing over 20cm tall, but I guess it has to in order to accommodate regular sized dice through the eye sockets to pop out in the mouth cavity. Funnily one of the players didn't hear what it was when we gave it over, and commented later on it would hold candies nicely.. you could even play with them by popping them through the eyes lol.. 

Again I leave the points of such a piece to the minions.. but I also now kind of want to print a dice tower for myself for future events... let's see if that happens.. 

Chatting with the Snowlord himself, I have been given my marching orders for the Director's Chair assignment. So will begin to work on that this week. But I do believe I will be slowing down on the painting side for this month as work has begun to ramp up.. so will be interesting to see what I can get finished now over the remaining weeks.. 

Points for this week:
44x 40mm Figures - 308
2x 40mm Artillery - 30
Large Dice Tower - ???
Total - 338 + tower

Minion Miles: Only 332 points - what a slacker!  We all expect better next time.  But, more importantly, congratulations on your anniversary - thats a wonderful achievement - congrats.  Oh wait, you've asked me to think about how to score something and you've provided only one measurement in that arcane and likely soon to be abolished metric system (how quaint).  OK, lets do some math - 20cm /2.54 equals 7.87 inches high - we'll round that to 8 because I'm a generous guy.  I'll guess the other 2 dimensions are roughly 4 inches each  (or 10cm's for you archaic metric people).  The gives a total volume of 128 cubic inches (8x4x4), which is 60% of the 216 cubic inches that embody our Holy Scoring Cube.  So thats 12 points right there.  

But wait there's more.....
My lovely yet fierce wife is an oral surgeon (she replaces jaws) and was aghast at the poor oral hygiene on this dice tower and demands I deduct one point, plus the whole candies interlude was held against the model.  So now where down to 11.  The base is really nice so you get 1 bonus point back.  Lets go with 12 (net)

whew. that was a lot.  I am going to adjust your score down to 1 artillery piece rather than 2 as they are very simple and not the large cannons that the original points were set out for- its what I do when I have machine guns and mortars and such.  Still 335 points is not a bad total.

22 comments:

  1. So that's what you do when your not doing a points bomb? Okay, lovely work, there seems like loads of star wars this challenge? Either way they look great and nice dice tower too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if it's not 500 PTS is it really a paint bomb? But this one did sneak up on me in regards to how many got done in the end. Got into a nice groove there in the end.

      Delete
  2. Fab set of Rebels, but that dice tower steals the show - lovely stuff, Kyle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin! It was funny handing it over and seeing the DMs reaction to it all.

      Delete
  3. Even a quiet week is crazy busy! Excellent work Kyle, Solo is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did sneak up on me Peter on what got done in the end. Solo was fun to paint alongside Chewbacca there.

      Delete
  4. That's a great collection of rebel scum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best set of villainy this side of the Hut collective.. 😉

      Delete
  5. Han and Chewbacca are great! That dice owner is very nice, although just a bit creepy. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are also my favourite.. right beside Cassian and K-2SO.. and that dice tower is going to be super creepy.. am not sure my partner would like me keeping it around so good luck to the new owner! 🤣

      Delete
  6. Some wonderful brushwork! The basing on your SWL minis is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy.. though the bases are dead easy. Ak Dark Mud for the texture. Primed white. Contrast Gor Fur. Drybrushed with cream/white and then add tufts. Bish bash bosh.. all done!

      Delete
  7. happy anniversary. marvellous painting, as usual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Was a good weekend to celebrate and we both enjoyed being out of the house for a bit.

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary, to you and your lady, Kyle! Lovely work on all these Star Wars figures (I need that Andor K-2SO set). Of course the show stealer is the dice skull. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. The Andor set is quite good and you have options for the K-2SO in how he is for weapons/arm options.

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic work on the Star Wars figures, but I like the dice tower the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our DM really enjoyed it also. Which was the main thing.. we are happy with it overall.so am also happy to see.others enjoyed it!

      Delete
  11. I do love these Legion models you have done them proud!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking figures and congrats on your special day!

    ReplyDelete