Wednesday 8 February 2023

(From BruceR) Nappys - Western Studio - Boats (80 pts)

Next up I grabbed some French Lights and I wanted Colpacks. Why you say, because the rule of cool is important. I was able to find some Front Rank French at Noble Knight games saving some on shipping. Last year I cranked out a few FIW Front Ranks and I really enjoy the slightly bulky figures.  I’m not a rivet counter and of course when you start researching Napoleonic uniforms you tend to find a number of differing renditions of uniforms.  I freely admit I paint faster and better with a guide, so I went to Painting War as my base.  


When researching you can read where the shako replaced the Colpack and yet elan driven units kept them.  My little elite group of French for my go to game of Sharp Practice have a mix of shako and Colpack.   Maybe some Bearskins later.

Gotta love a fur hat with a big snaky plum.  











These 9 fire and load lights will give my grasshoppers some challenges.  (9x5 = 45)




On to the next studio.  Up the road is the Westerns Studio and, who better than Marshal Grin Duster.  This is another great Pulp Miniatures figure put out for Movember.  I painted a few last year and saw this bloke sitting on my shelf and said why not.  




Gotta love the Stache and take care of your health with a miniature reminder.  

Marshal Grin Duster:  (5 pt figure + 20 pts studio = 25)









To round out the week some wooden assault boats.  Well, they are resin/wooden, and will be used to move troops to shore.   Etsy purchased.   Used the airbrush with wood effects again and added some dry brush.  

The boast are great as they can hold sufficient troops, to at a minimum, portray the unit they are carrying.  

For points I tried the 6" terrain block.  5 pts per boat is my calculation and as always, the Minion Miles can giveth or taketh away as he sees fit.







Points Total:

10 28mm x 5             = 50
Western Studio          = 20
Boats                          = 10

Total                            = 80 pts

Thanks for looking and have a great rest of the week.  Just to share CSM Loki and are scooting out of work  early tomorrow and heading to my sons ranch (my zen place) for the rest of the week.  Not much painting will get accomplished.  Just feeding 350+ head and with 4 dogs and no people.  Heaven!

Minion Miles: I have the same book on painting Naps but mine never come out nearly as nice as yours - perhaps my book is defective?  The Marshall is superb and we can all use more boats on our table top - a very nice and varied submission.

 

15 comments:

  1. Lovely work here. Especially the naps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flashy voltigeurs. The hats rock.
    Quite like the boats too, I could uses for them on table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. French are all about the Elan and yours certainly have that. great figures alround

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super job with the bearskins and plumage! It’s all about the details 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, colpacks are the absolute bomb. One of the best noggin-covers in the Napoleonic era. Fabulous painting there, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice - the Marshal is cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous French lights in one of my favourite Napoleonic headgear! Excellent cowboy too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those voltigeurs are great and the marshal is very cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Naps! Like you I have a real appreciation for their sculpting style. My SYW collection is all FR and I really enjoyed painting them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive plumage on those Voltigeurs! Love that Painting War book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post - always enjoy seeing well painted Napoleonics! Love the Western gunfighter to ...
    Cheers Jez T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some very good painting, love the gunfighter!

    ReplyDelete