Sunday 26 February 2023

From PhilH: When the Last Tetsubo is Hefted at Fantasy (49 Points)

 With apologies to Sidney for the title.

Flitting like a butterfly from the new project at World Cinema, back to an old project at the Fantasy studio. 

One of many skirmish games I’ve dabbled in, Bushido by GCT Studios is a fantasy samurai game that’s been around for a while, I was painting these about 2018-19 time. Alas it’s one of those games full of nuance that you need to play week by week really, and I haven’t had chance for that so haven’t painted any for ages. 

But aha, I gather one of our hobby luminaries and fellow challengers is developing a quite intriguing samurai skirmish game, ‘When the last sword is drawn’, which tempted me to dig out these ashigaru sentries. 

They join the rest of my Minimoto clan: ashigaru, an armoured samurai and a shugenja witch with a summoned kami elemental. Their schtick is they like in mountain strongholds and mostly wield massive tetsubo, and heavy armour.


But that’s not all! A local gamer was offloading some early Bushido minis to anyone that would collect them, so took a handful of the ‘Savage wave’ faction of oni and bakemono. I couldn’t resist painting one up straight away, and had a blast doing so. 


Of course I was delighted when Sidney’s post last month incorporated fantasy elements into his ruleset. 

 
A giant demon wielding a vast mallet isn’t something one would like to stumble into after a few saki.



Scoring, the ashigaru are 35mm scale, so 5 points a piece? 7? I leave it to the minion to decide on the oni, but he’s pretty big. 10? 15? Then 20 for the studio. 

Here I am entering the blue security zone, en route to the Director’s chair. 



These are beautifully painted and I love the demon chap. Well done


22 comments:

  1. Nice! Love the red walrus demon guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the ashigaru look astonishing. I really like that blue, and the clean painting. Really well done, Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I settled on that as their clan colour with a few accents depending on status. Not wholly sure the orange sashes work thojgh

      Delete
  3. Superb brushwork, Phil! I love the not-Hellboy oni. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo love the red beastie. Great work on the others. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! I’m not great at colour schemes overall but these came out well

      Delete
  6. Absolutely lovely, those ashigaru are painted particluarly well, the shading is great. I also have a bunch of Bushido figures hanging around as I really enjoyed the game but, like you, couldn’t get to play regularly enough to get into the nuances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidney around wood to the rescue, then :-)

      Delete
  7. I really like the ashigru l, and the mountain clan they belong to, but the oni demon is the star! I like the skin hue you gave them and the beaten, wooden texture on that mallet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I’m super chuffed with the mallet. I’m trying to deliverer more textural details, in this case stippling to get the effect.

      Delete
  8. Splendid, love the deamon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I’ve his bigger brother to paint, but won’t make it before Challenge end

      Delete
  9. Splendid brushwork, the demon is excellent

    ReplyDelete