Sunday 26 February 2023

From SebastianR: Moonshinin' [Westerns] (25)

Not much to say about this figure, it's mostly a challenge location un-locker scooped up from a friend for that purpose.

That being said, paints up rather nicely.

I'm not really into the West as a theme or topic for wargames; I didn't really have any suitable miniatures. I'm quite a big fan of Hunt: Showdown, an extraction shooter with delusions of live servicehood, but this fellow is nowhere near grimy or dark enough.

My friend bought into multiple of the Reaper Bones kickstarters and has slowly been parceling them out over the years as he realised he would never paint them. The collection he handed off to me when answering my call for suitable miniatures were more 1920s than 1880s, particularly with the female minis, and have that distinct Reaper Bones bendy plastic on some of the weapons, but this one in particular probably represents a fairly timeless stereotype of the moonshinin' hillbilly. Give it 40 years and that beard will be grey and he'll be warning partying teens away from the spooky cabin/woods/local murders hang out while being mildly threatening for no good reason.

That's 5 points for the mini and 20 for the challenge for 25pts.

And that, is the end of my posting splurge. I need to knock out something for the Swords and Sandals location so I can link my locations and be ready in case my halflings (the other large project I hoped to get done this challenge) turn up before the 20th, but otherwise I think I'll linger in the Under Construction challenge to pointsify as many unfinished projects as possible.


And Seb personally completes an entire posting day on his own. I'm going for a lie down

13 comments:

  1. Again? He might get away with it if not for those meddling teenagers. The

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hillbilly, Sebastian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great miniature, magnificent beard. May I recommend the old west as a great period to play. A couple of Sarissa MDF buildings (don't even have to paint them, they would be wooden anyway) and some plastic cowboys from Great Escape Games and you'll be shouting "go for yer guns!" in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first time seeing a cowboy mini game was San Diego in the 80s. The Napoleonic gamers called them dollhouse Rpg-ers, the cowboy players called the Napoleonic gamers "button counters" 🤣
      Somewhat uncalled for, but I also think they were playing for the crowd as the tables were so close!

      Delete
  4. Very nice, I agree with Peter, you should try it. I love Dead Man’s Hand, and the dinner table is large enough for a game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great moonshiner. Very fun miniature. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting figure and great painting and colour choice!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hillbilly, Sebastion! I think he would and does fit well with the west as well as prohibition gangsters and nearly any other genre....time is weird in Appalachia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking moonshiner!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this old coot! :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete