Saturday 11 March 2023

From ChrisW - Return to Innsmouth [215 points]

Well, holidays really took a toll on me, production wise, even if it was only 1 week. 

Originally I was opposed to going away, but as winter dragged on I sort of started to look forward to some heat and sun. Beyond winter and all the fun it brings, there was also the push, by me, to get as much stuff done as I could in this challenge. That insanity started to wear me down somewhat. On top of that I also started to get distracted thinking of other projects not related to the challenge. So a long way to say that once I actually landed in Florida I truly began to understand just how much I needed to get away!

Now that I am back I just have not been able to do all that much. I started off with some gangsters, worked on about 16 or so before putting them aside, no real drive to work on them. Thankfully my collection of Deep ones and hybrids had been pulled out and were ready to go. The nature of the Deep ones meant that I could use some contrast on them to speed the process along. It was an easy fix, something I could see quick results. So that got me going again, unfortunately that was Thursday, not much time for a Friday/Saturday deadline. But with them done I could get going on the hybrids and maybe, just maybe some more stuff...

Deep Ones [14 figures] 

These are a mix of companies, not really certain who is who. I did have fun with the bases trying for a swampy water base mixed with some swamp grass tufts. The 'water' is by AK, pre-mixed small tub. Now that these have been painted this way, with contrast I will have to go back and repaint the 16 or so other Deep ones that I painted years ago.

 



 Hybrids [18 figures]

Some Black Cat bases figures, maybe some other figures too. They have a nice decayed look to them! I tried to keep away from bright colours and dirtied them up some to represent the general shabbiness of the town folk.



Scuba divers [6 x 28mm figures] FINALLY!

Crooked Dice figures painted like the good guys from the James Bond film Thunderball. The orange suit is one of the more recent GW contrast paints and come out very very orange. I find that some of the newer contrast paints do not seem to have all that much of a contrast finish to them. These are not the best figures to show off contrast as they are rather smooth but still my comment stands for this colour and a few others. I should note that I found a 'normal' paint equivalent in the Army Painter range, Lava orange, which was used for touch ups.

 


Wild West hooded thugs [5 figures]

 I believe these are from Brigade Games. They are kind of small, and low in detail, but not bad to paint and add some different character to the table. Hopefully their eye holes are in the right place...




Points total this time

  • 70 points for 14 x 28mm foot Deep Ones
  • 90 points for 18 x 28mm foot Hybrids
  • 30 points for 6 x 28mm foot Scuba divers
  • 25 points for 5 x 28mm foot Wild West hooded thugs

Total of  215 points

That is it for my last official Saturday post. 

Thank you Stuart for your minioning!

Squirrels this time around [+4]

  1. Deep ones
  2. Hybrids
  3. Scuba divers 
  4. Wild west hooded thugs

 New squirrel total 59

 Previous squirrels

  1. Back of Beyond
  2. Mad figures (Top hat toffs and companions)
  3. Greek skeletons
  4. Sisters of Sigmar
  5. Ancient Germanic women
  6. ECW cuirassiers
  7. Monsters large
  8. Post apocalypse
  9. Tekumel Palanquin
  10. Empire Pike
  11. Jazz Band
  12. French Cuirassiers on Mars
  13. Court of Dr Koo
  14. Movie makers
  15. Gothic/movie Vampires 
  16. Gladiators
  17. Women rocket corp
  18. Supers
  19. Forest scenery
  20. Robin Hood
  21. Gorillas 
  22. Dr and his pets
  23. Nuns
  24. The flying squad 
  25. Mechanical spiders from Mars 
  26. The Gorgons
  27. Cthulhu creatures
  28. Mad gardeners and their plants
  29. Pulp mummies
  30. Pulp Egyptian skeletons
  31. Jason and the Argonauts
  32. Asylum residents 
  33. Dwarf Roman style troops
  34. Hatchet/axe wielding maniacs
  35. Free range lunatics 
  36. Gunslingers
  37. Hill Martians
  38. Martian artillery
  39. Lizard infantry
  40. Tekumel monsters
  41. Failed experiments
  42. Dr Frankenstein and monsters
  43. Cold hearted mad scientists 
  44. Mexican civilians
  45. US cavalry
  46. Cowboys
  47. Town folk
  48. Lawmen
  49. Hired guns 
  50. Royal Martian marines
  51. 18th century naval
  52. Fritz & his Igor mates (lab helpers)
  53. Abbott & Costello meet the Mummy
  54. Men of Faith
  55. Torture chamber

 I hope that you enjoyed your holiday, you certainly hit the ground running on your return if this lot is anything to go by. 

Normally, bright orange isn't a colour that looks good on a mini, but for your scuba squad, it looks really good. Great work on all of these figures.

12 comments:

  1. Another great collection of figures.Well done Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A slow week you say? Nice fisher folk and frogmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lack of motivation, but plenty of determination to get something done. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Nice work, Chris! I wish I could have such "slow" weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was up until 2am painting & posting this stuff just felt like I didn't make any progress until late Friday.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I love all those Deep Ones. I did up the hybrids a few years ago and really enjoyed the models. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Chris, productive slow week!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Chris, you have an amazing range of figures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Chris, love the scuba divers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, Chris! The deep ones are very cool, but I like the character of the townfolk. The scuba divers turned out really well too with the orange. I rather like that contrast paint and use the army painter orange triad and yellow to punch it up even more. Good job!

    ReplyDelete