Saturday 11 March 2023

From MartijnN: Conquering Faith (28mm Conquistadores/ Monks/ Terrain)(Casting Couch)(105 points)

 We end up at the Casting Couch set. All well and good, but that couch as seen better times, no? Let me offer an alternative:


Now that's a throne worthy of a star isn't it? 

As a boy, I was thrilled by tales of intrepid explorers, who filled in the white spots on the map or searched for fabulous treasures. Obviously, we tend to try to view events in a little less Eurocentric way nowadays, but back then I had no inkling of controversy or bias and simply indulged in fantastic tales of derring-do. I'm quite certain that there should be an Errol Flynn movie, but I couldn't find it, so I settled on this:



I don't think I have actually seen the film, but Francisco Pizarro and the conquest of the Inca Empire make quite a tale, and you have to love Robert Shaw Christopher Plummer. As the casting couch requires you to "create one of the leading character of your gaming experience" I present Pizarro and Hernando de Soto:



They are part of a little group of conquistadores:





I painted them mainly rather randomly, looking for some colour but not referencing any historic material. They can be used in a conquistador force (I still have to print and paint up some Aztecs), but can also be used in a fantasy setting or even for a Renaissance European force. These are once again designed by Iain Lovecraft and 3D printed. I think they warrant a squirrel.

Next up are five monks, ready to spread the true faith throughout the world, Old or New, using stinging arguments if necessary:




3D printed figures, I think Iain Lovecraft again but I can't remember exactly. I'll claim a squirrel for these too.

Finally, two more terrain items, definitely from Lovecraft:

An Elven Gazebo (from the Feywood campaign):




And a fantasy cottage, Blueberry House, from his Tale of Two Cities:




That's it. From here, we will finally proceed to the Director's Chair, hoping that there will be enough time left in the Challenge to complete the task assigned by the Show Lord!



As for points:

- the throne measures 2.5 x 3 x 6.5", say 1/4 cube for 5 points?

- the Gazebo is 4" in diameter and height, say 10 points?

- Blueberry Cottage is 5x3x7", about half a cube, say 10 points again?

So:

- terrain 25 points;

- 12x 28mm foot @5 = 60 points

- Casting Couch Studio bonus = 20 points

Grand total 105 points and 2 squirrels!

Lovely work Martijn. The terrain and the monks look really good, but the conquistadores are very cool. The brightly coloured clothing really pops, well done. 

9 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Martijn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great submission the Conquistadors are ace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work here. How to the elves manage to grow their trees so spherically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff all around Martijn. Those conquistadors are really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, those conquistadores look awesome! Well done Martijn! I'm definitely going to have to get some of those STLs as I think they would make perfect 'gentlemen adventurers' for my Great Siege of Malta project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb Martin, loving your Spanish, they would be perfect for my war of religion project

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work as always Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, Martjin! I really like those Conquistadors they turned out very well. I also like the terrain bits including that Tolkien-esque elfin patio. Nice work....I really need one of those replicator things! ;)

    ReplyDelete