Thursday 25 January 2024

From MartinC: The Hobby (515 points)

I've had a productive week and managed to paint quite a lot of things, so straight into it.

1st up we have a Little Moscow Grenadier battalion for my Napoleonic Russians

This was going to be my last Naps for a while, but I've done loads of stuff and so Naps may be back sooner than planned

Next up is my trip to the children's section of the library. For any Brits who grew up in the 1970s and also many Europeans Subbuteo was the game of choice. It was a table football game where you flicked the players around a baise pitch, trying to score. Subbuteo is actually latin for Hobby, the inventor wasn't allowed to call it the hobby, so called it Subbuteo. It was forgotten about except for the odd popular culture reference. 
So for Christmas my Brother in Law got a subbuteo set and I was tasked with painting up 2 teams for us to use.

This is the Barnsley Team from 1997 - the only time they made the Premier Division for a brief 1 season stay

The Subbuteo players are 20mm soft plastic and very dated sculpts - check out the 1970s hair cuts, I'm remembering Kevin Keegan and Malcolm MacDonald.

They needed suitably glorious opponents, so this is the 1996 Port Vale team, easily the greatest team in all world football. We finished 8th in the 2nd tier of English Football,  our second best season in 140 years (English Football league titles are weird - Premier, Championship, 1st division and then 2nd division).

They will provide strong opposition to Barnsley

Both teams need team coaches to get them to matches

I started the Challenge with a large post of the army of Fu Manchu. However they are a bit weak on their own and need some support from a local Chinese Warlord

Pulp Miniatures Chinese Warlord set. He needs a cool name but I'm stuck on Egg Shen (bonus points for getting the cultural reference)

He already has an infantry platoon but now brings 2 HMGs to the party

These are Copplestone and lovely

And 2 heavy mortars. Again Copplestone and one of the crew is eating noodles

Next, told you I'd been busy, are 3 Drawfen monoliths (think these are from CP models)

Just a simple paint job so only a couple of points each, the seated guy in the middle is about 28mm scale. However they will qualify for the Fantasy section.

I'm now finished with the 1st part of the library and need to travel to the Rotunda on Sarah's library cart.

This is a Palantine Enforcer from Necromunda. A Chirstmas present from JamesM of this parish. She is a 3D resin sculpt and very nice she is. I went for pale skin, she is underground, but not sure if it has worked as I wanted, and may touch her up.

All my Palantines have this pale blue trim - think it works well with the black

So in the Rotunda I get to visit the Sci Fi section and meet the Palantine District Commisioner, with his law book. Again from JamesM. Cap is blue lined, but you can't see it.

All good police forces need police dogs and these 3 robo-dogs are great, again JamesM. They are 3 lads, 20mm at shoulder. Should terrify any perps.
My history with Necromunda is, at best, terrible. the phrase "couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo" is about right. 

And finally, I have been building a small(ish) Finnish force for Team Yankee (not a fan of modern tank warfare, so I went for something different). These mortar sections will complete the force.

120mm mortars

81mm mortars


Scores on the Doors (hold tight this could take a while)

Russians
22 x 28mm infantry = 110pts
1x 28mm Mtd officer = 10pts
2x flags                         = 2pts

Subbuteo
22x 20mm footballers = 88pts
Children's books          = 20pts

Chinese 
17 x 28mm soldiers and crews = 65pts
4 x crew served weapons = 40pts
1x flag                               = 1pts

Dwarfen Monoliths
3x 2pts                            = 6pts
Fantasy books                 = 20pts

Necromunda 
1 female enforcer            = 5pts
Sarah's trolley                  = 20pts

1 male enforcer                =5pts
3 dogs                                =15pts
Sc Fi section                     = 20 pts  

Finns
21 mortar crew                = 42
6 crewed weapons             = 24

I'll also need a new points target, so 2000pts it is. Curt was right, I may be a carpet bagger.

TeemuL: I guess I spent the same amount of time to insert all the points to the spread sheet that I spent reading this entry. You really are picking up some steam, Martin, and crashed your points target in about a month. No wonder with this kind of post, that your math is bit off. You have miscalculated your Chinese and the spread sheet gives you nice 515 points with some bonuses included. I could give you some minus points for not including the Library map, though... Your route seems reasonable, so I won't cause any troubles here.

The Naps look great, but those old Subbuteo players steal the show. I encountered this game in 2005 or so and we played a short league with couple of friends. I managed to buy similar set you have, but I haven't thought about painting them. English league system is quite misleading, but if Luton Town can play in the Premier league, I have no doubt Port Vale will be there, too, someday.

36 comments:

  1. Cheers Teemul. Sorry the maths was a chore, and got it wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Subbuteo teams Martin. I just preferred the Lionesses set for my wife so they may need a lick of paint to bring them up to snuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird spell check. While the lionesses are preferred I of course meant to say ordered!

      Delete
    2. ta, we all have the spell check problem. Will need to check out the lionesses for my sisters

      Delete
  3. My god Martin the machine is back, getting more points in one week that I plan to get in the whole Challenge. Love the Grenadiers and Chinese, but really like the Subbutteo teams, I see to recall getting trashed by my English cousins in the late 70s. Port Vale clearly need to unearth a long lost king from a parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, i don't think even he could help us.

      Delete
  4. What a bomb! I like the Subbuteo figures. My younger brother was fairly heavy into it in the early eighties, brings back fond memories. The Russians are great too. Great job all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a friend who had the grandstand and everything. Just got in the way

      Delete
  5. Wow, so much to enjoy here! I have to say I was fascinated by your Subbuteo figures. I've heard of the term, but did not know about the game - that's so cool. The only thing cooler than the minis is your obvious love (and knowledge) of English football in all its forms. I don't know a thing about it, but I find your enthusiasm infectious. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, being Canadian you are excused not knowing about football, in it's many mediocre forms. Have a chat with Ryan Reynolds, he's jumped on theband wagon. His team, Wrexham, has just got promoted to the divisin below Port Vale and Barnsley's. We will be playing them next season I suspect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we talk alll the time as I often stand in as a stunt double for him. He hates me because I'm better looking, so petty...

      Delete
    2. At least you didn’t call it soccer !

      Delete
  7. English football leagues and their interaction is an impenetrable, arcane mystery. Your massive painting upload for this week is far more approachable. I particularly like the Copplestone figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Basically there are 2 levels, super rich and super poor. I love the Copplestone figs as well

      Delete
  8. This is the time for Port Vale to march to glory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the points bomb there Martin but what I love even more are the Russians which are my favorite out of this wonderful array of minis. looking forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, my Russians are progressing nicely. Painting Uhlans this evening

      Delete
  10. Fantastic minis, Martin. I played Subbuteo a couple of times at a friend's house as a kid, though I never got into it myself. Well done on getting the two greatest teams of all time painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Stuart. Not played Subbuteo since 1978

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, just love the Subbuteo figures. Brings back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonkers - but what I have come to expect . Can your Russkies stand being dropped in the file box - you know it will happen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow must be up there as the maddest mix of figures and genres in a post - love the Subbuteo stuff for children's section in the challenge! Port Vale so mustn't mention Stoke City .........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, I am a full butterfly. My dad is a Stoke fan

      Delete
  15. Well done bomb Martin. I guess when you are not away playing Napoleonics the paint brush flows . Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes loads done in a quiet week. Playing all weekend so next week will not beca bomb

      Delete
  16. Great work here Martin. Never thought I would see subhuteo on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great points bomb Martin - the Subbuteo takes me back a few years

    ReplyDelete
  18. Substantial points bomb Martin! And nice work on the Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete