Tuesday 16 January 2024

From PeterD: Shore Batteries for Local History (21 points)

Only a teeny tiny post from me this week, although there's lots on the go on the workbench. After a good start, painting slowed a bit due to weather (see the screen shot below) and first week of uni classes.  Specifically my work load went up from 2 classes with 18 students to 3 classes with 168 students.  My normal load is two classes, but we were asked to pick up classes  for a couple of weeks to cover for a colleague with medical issues.  There was a first year calculus class in one of my open slots and I had just taught the same class in the Fall so had everything tooled up.  Anyway by Wednesday I was assigned the class for the entire semester...Oh well I enjoyed the class in the Fall and as my wife says, I run better in the Winter Semester if I'm kept busy.


I've had to go outside every day this week and there's nothing like this weather to sap your energy.


These are 3D prints from War Time Journal kindly printed off by the Snowlord.  A communications glitch led to Curt printing these in 1:1250 while my ships are 1:2400, but I think that they work well in full scale.

I added my cutting mat to show the size of these.

I have a couple of shore batteries in 1:1250 scale for Local History.  A quick check of your globe will tell you that there's no need for shore batteries in my current location of Regina, SK. However, home for me is always Halifax Ns which being a major naval port since 1759 has several.  These remind me of York Redoubt which covers the narrow entrance to a very big harbour.  I played on the 9" Rifled Muzzle Loaders as a kid (it was the 60s, boomer kids were expendable), walked my dog there in Uni, took young ladies for picnics and sailed past these guns in my day sailer.


Entrance to Halifax Harbour

York Redoubt was originally built in 1793 and then expanded in 1798 by the Duke of Kent, best known in most circles as Queen Victoria's father and in Halifax as the guy who liked round buildings.  With changing technology it was rebuilt in the 1870s and armed with 9" and 10" rifled muzzle loaders. In 1891 pair of 6pdr quick firers and a searchlight was added on the shoreline to fend off torpedo boats.  In WW2 this was one end of an anti-U boat net guarded by more modern 6pdrs. 


9" RML

This one nicely shows the commanding view from the guns.  The French and Americans better stay clear.

Finally, I thought I'd share a few shots from an AAR using some of the Spanish American War models I've done up this Challenge including these ones.






Even a single point is generous for these two, but I'll claim the 20 points for the Library category. Here's my updated trip through the Library.





Klein maar fijn, we say in Dutch; small but great. That sums up these small-scale shore batteries nicely. We finally saw some snow here in Belgium, and at -6C I thought it was bl**dy cold, but I really don't envy you now Peter! Anyway, a great submission and the pictures of your SAW naval game really show how useful they are. Well done, 21 points!

28 comments:

  1. Nice. I agree the scale does seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment about the vast scale difference, but...you know...

    Very nice Peter. I have to say, I find shore batteries to be the nicest possible coastal landscape :) I wish I could install a shore battery at my cabin...but I fear local officials wouldn't "get it"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. In the end it's how it looks on table, and the larger scale looks good. You might find yourself blockaded, possibly with minefield laid to hem you in.

      Delete
  3. Great work Peter! I enjoyed seeing these on the table and even getting to fire them at the American Imperialists. In the end, simply ramming them worked just as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, and thanks for printing them off for me. Maybe if you didn't oppress your Cuban subjects so much they wouldn't be invading!

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! Oppression is such a loaded, pejorative word. We far prefer 'benevolently guided citizens' or 'Imperial subjects'. Besides, we all know how well they got on with their new American 'partners'. ;)

      Delete
    3. The Cubans did better than the Phiiipinos in 1898

      Delete
  4. nice battery, they actually fit in perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Scale is a fuzzy thing in wargaming, wince the vertical (figure) scale is always way different from our horizontal (ground) scale. These fit the looks fine category which is all that I really need to do.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking 'little' guns, Peter. They don't seem out of place on the gaming table.
    -34 degrees seems excessive. Locally, our coldest night this year has been -4 and that was quite enough. I don't know how you survive in temperatures like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good parkas, good company and good booze.

      Delete
    2. ...actually the company and booze doesn't even have to be that good...

      Delete
    3. Thanks Stuart. Most of the time I like the Prairie winters, beats the heck out of shovelling water at -1 which is Winter in Nova Scotia.

      Delete
  6. Cute little forts. Do they need an activation roll as well? I could apply, I'm looking for a new job after the "Spanish blockade runners" incident...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were part of the local forces group with the old cruiser and torpedo boats. They only need an activation to fire torpedoes or mines.

      Delete
  7. That's impossibly cold! Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barks and Yarks. Yesterday it warmed up to -22, felt like -33c so I walked home instead of taking the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great wee fortifications. I’m with you in the subzero temps sapping the will to produce. Hang in there. Great submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, will do. The worst of it is that my modelling supplies are all in the basement. When it's this cold, like the Ramones "Hey Romeo, I don't wanna go..."

      Delete
  10. I think they look great with your ships.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's great Peter and good to see the local connection

    ReplyDelete