Friday 12 January 2024

From StephenS: A well spent childhood [Children's Books] (40 points)

 G'day Everyone,

The best part of my job is that I have never really had to grow-up, but like a fair few of us here, I can look back on my eighties childhood with fondness. Especially with the passage of time, rose-tinted glasses and lots of beers.

Nothing sums up an eighties childhood like action figures with accompanying TV shows to sell them, and today I present the 'grown-up' version of two sets I used to play with as a kid.


First, we have Teela and Ram Man from the Masters of the Universe. These are 28 mm plastic sculpts from CMON's Clash for Eternia board game that was on Kickstarter. I painted He-Man last challenge, and they take paint pretty well for board game pieces. I remember having He-Man and Castle Grayskull as a kid, but can't recall if I had Teela or Ram Man. I enjoyed painting them up a lot more than I enjoyed watching the original 80's cartoons with my son recently. Not everything ages well...




Something that did age well though, is Star Wars! I was definitely more into Star Wars as a kid and never fell out of love, despite the varying quality of the sequels/prequels that have been produced since. These two minis are 32 mm plastic figures from Atomic Mass Games, and are part of the Star Wars:Legions game. They are General Veers and an Imperial officer.




All up, that is 20 points for the figures and 20 points for the location.


Cheers,

Steve

From Millsy: You're bringing back fond TV memories for me with the Masters of the Universe stuff Steve. Skeletor was a firm favourite and I'd always wanted to name a ginger tabby Battlecat but never got away it. You paintwork on Ram Man in particular is great stuff, with the depth and variation on his armour a big improvement over the mass produced toy version.

Veers is also a favourite and I have him in my collection too. The pose always strikes me as a bit weird but maybe that's in part because of his massive helmet? Regardless both he and his assistant have a proper no-fuss get things done feel about them. Rebels beware!

40 points for your tally my friend!

17 comments:

  1. Now that’s a blast from the past! Excellent work on these updates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great brushwork and nice walk through memory lane. I didn't have any MotU minis as a kid, but some of my friends had. I collected MotU Panini stickers, though, while my sister collected Barbie stickers. When has Masters of the Universe and Barbie been popular at the same time? :D Yes, and who doesn't love Star Wars, I like the paintjob and simplish base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if I was painting from my childhood memories it would be thunderbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Steve and a jaunt down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely nostalgia jaunt, fine painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving both versions and great to read the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work here Stephen. I have been painting the MOTU range over the last year and they do take paint well, don't they? I have something in a similar vein to post on Monday that may interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another trip down memeory lane, great work Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Steve. Love the Star Wars minis (and frankly anything from The Empire Strikes Back)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those He-Man figures are a great improvement on the originals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgotten all about Ram Man, excellent 👏

    ReplyDelete
  12. really great post the painting is top notch, got to love the Starwars figures,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blast from the past! I remember He-Man.

    You always need good commanders for Star Wars games. I think Veers is indeed the most successful Imperial ground commander in the movies and shows.

    ReplyDelete