Tuesday 27 February 2024

From PeterD: With View Halloo Pursue the Gnu (70 Points)

Second post from me today.  First up is a straightforward points grab for the nature shelves in the form of a 28mm Gnu (ok it's a wildebeest but Gnus are way more fun) from Ray Partha. This figure has been kicking around my spares bin for 20+ years and was picked up for a potential Southern African colonial project.


I think this needs a Wild Kingdom vignette with Marlin Perkins safely in the Landrover while his sacrificial offering assistant attempts to hog tie the gnu.  Sadly this was beyond my resources.



While others may look to use the Gnu as the basis for cheap puns, I instead will use it to reference a much higher art form, that of Poetry.  I present Good Gnu (A Vignette in Verse) by P.G Wodehouse.   This poem comes from the story Unpleasantness at Bludleigh Court in which Mr Mulliner's nice Charlotte (an animal loving poet) comes under a blood lust spell while visiting family friends.  She is most put out when Animal-Lovers' Gazette rejects this poem as seen at 18:00 of this clip Wodehouse Playhouse.


When cares attack and life seems black,

How sweet it is to pot a yak,

      Or puncture hares and grizzly bears,

        And others I could mention;

But in my Animals "Who's Who"

No name stands higher than the Gnu;

      And each new gnu that comes in view

        Receives my prompt attention.

 

When Afric's sun is sinking low,

And shadows wander to and fro,

      And everywhere there's in the air

        A hush that's deep and solemn;

Then is the time good men and true

With View Halloo pursue the gnu;

      (The safest spot to put your shot

        is through the spinal column).

 

To take the creature by surprise

We must adopt some rude disguise,

      Although deceit is never sweet,

        And falsehoods don't attract us;

So, as with gun in hand you wait,

Remember to impersonate

      A tuft of grass, a mountain-pass,

        A kopje or a cactus.

 

A brief suspense, and then at last

The waiting's o'er, the vigil past;

      A careful aim. A spurt of flame.

        It's done. You've pulled the trigger,

And one more gnu, so fair and frail,

Has handed in its dinner-pail;

      (The females all are rather small,

        The males are somewhat bigger).



In other gnus, I have another unit of 4 Pict Light Cavalry.  These are 28mm figures kit bashed from three Gripping Beast plastic kits. They are pretty much the same as the last two units that I have previously posted.





Note to self - I need to fix the labels which got lifted up during posing.


I think it's 5 points for the Gnu, 10 each for the cavalry and 20 for the Nature topic for a total of 65 points.

With two rooms ticked off today, my updated may looks like this.



First Germanus of Auxerre, and now P.G. Wodehouse! This day gets better and better, and I would almost think I'm being bribed here. However, there is absolutely no need for that with this second great entry for today, Peter. The gnu is very nice, I absolutely love the poem, and the Picts are on a par with your previous submission, a fine job! Again trying to be somewhat consistent I'll add a couple of bonus points for the kitbashing, the hand-painted shields, and a little carry-over from Germanus' vexillum, so we'll settle at 70.

Martijn

29 comments:

  1. That not new gnu is nicely done. And you keep a good pace producing ancient units despite your heavy teaching load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sylvain. I caught up a bit in break week.

      Delete
  2. Thanks again Martijn. I’m not bribing you (yet). We obviously have interests that align nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cavalry, but I am hoping that we can institute a points penalty for all instances of attempting to publish poetry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I’ll try and arrange more poetry.

      Delete
  4. I just Gnu you’d take the high road and avoid the puns….. cracking painting all round and I think I can safely say that’s the first 28mm gnu I’ve seen painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there’d be no shortage of puns in the comments. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Wonderful puns and even better painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicest gnus I’ve had all day! Great work Peter and the light cavalry are super too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cavalry and that's a great Gnu (but I'm with Greg on the poetry).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent painting! The Gnu reminds me of many a fun car rides listening to Flanders and Swan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If it made you smile then my work is done. I had to google Flanders and Swann but I know some of their work, including I'm a G-nu

      Delete
  9. what a fun entry, great poetry and painting

    ReplyDelete
  10. PG Wodehouse- brilliant stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Peter. The Yak with reference to Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom gave me a laugh. Jim wrestling with the python while Marlin videos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. I assume that Jim was well insured by Mutual of Omaha.

      Delete
  12. Lovely work Peter - its great to see the Picts army growing in size

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did a nose count recently and i need more Picts!

      Delete
  13. Nice one Peter, as always I enjoy not just your painting but the story behind it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. I’ll have more rambles soon…

      Delete