Tuesday 27 February 2024

From PeterD Saint Germanus of Auxerre for Famous Person (60 points)

 

I missed a week last week, but caught up on some painting during my Uni's Winter Break.  My first post is of Saint Germanus of Auxerre which I am attempting to claim under the Famous Person Category.  There's a bit of ambiguity in the title here, with the Map indicating a Statue and the Library Catalogue just indicating a Famous Person.  However, Big Lee got his painted Patton under this category on the weekend, so I will use this and the ambiguity to claim my points. Also I happened to know that my minion is an archeologist whose speciality is Rome and I'm hoping for brownie points!


Who is Saint Germanus you ask and why is he famous?  He is a Bishop from Roman Gaul who came to Britain c 429 CE to defeat the Picts and Saxons at the Alleluia Battle, where the barbarians were so put of may the vocal chants of the Romano British that they figured that they were badly outnumbered and buggered off.  You can read his Bio here.  Germanus is one if the few named leaders from 5th century Britain whose existence can actually be verified since most of the names (Vortigern, Arthur, etc) seem pretty mythical.

I based my version on this lovely illustration from a recent Osprey offering.


The figures are from the Victrix Late Roman Armoured Cavalry kit, which is excellent.  I didn't have a cross so swapped in a Chi-Rho vexillum for Germanus to wave.  I never liked the jumping jack hold two weapons up pose, so gave him the shield carried by the infantry man in the foreground.  His body guard is a Roman Cavalry officer, who gets a proper helmet instead of his Smurf Hat Phrygian Cap.



Germanus' visit(s) to Britain came after the "withdrawal of the legions" in 407CE, but what happened afterword is very cloudy.  I plan on using him as a standard bearer or general for my Late Roman Defenders of Britain.

Points wise that 2 28mm cavalrymen @10 points =20 plus 20 for the Famous Person bonus for a total of 40 points.  I will claim the figure points under the legions Side Duel. 


Germanus of Auxerre! For many people perhaps not that famous a person, but you have definitely made my day, Peter. What an original choice, and very fitting for this section of the Library I should think. These are some lovely figures, and the brushwork is great. Germanus and his companion look more than ready to put the fear of God in some heathens! I am happy too that you decided to ditch the smurf hat, a helmet is so much more elegant. 40 points added to your total!

Martijn

19 comments:

  1. That's a very colorful unit. Your nice paint job makes it easy to pick out details. Too bad we can't hear the chants you described. Or will you be chanting when you put this guy on the table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mon Ami. Perhaps we’ll assign him to you and require that you provide sound effects!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Martijn, glad that you like him. That picture in the Osprey was too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Peter. The calling of a Bishop seems to have evolved over the years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Apparently thought and prayers are more effective when followed up with decisive action…

      Delete
  4. That’s come out really nicely with the bright colours, nice job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I used to go with dull period colours but I find the brights look better on table.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on this command stand, Peter. 'Put off by the vocal chants of the Romano-British' - this tradition has carried down to modern day World Cup it seems. :) Looking forward to seeing this on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Pretty much anything England and its fans do at the World Cup is off-putting.

      Delete
  6. Superb little command group. Well done Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work and great story Peter

    ReplyDelete