Monday 26 February 2024

From SimonG: Six Rebels -- 28mm Jewish Slingers for Impetus (30 points)

A small submission from me this week only with a pair of skirmisher stands for Impetus in 28mm.




For my larger Impetus scale project I'm varying the methods I use to make Jewish rebels. Where previously I had used Victrix Nubians as base figures I am now expanding my range -- in this instance the base figures are the Victrix  Balearic Slingers . More problematic is sourcing suitable first century jewish looking heads. I have previously used Anvil Industry bearded modern special forces heads -- which look great but are a little overscale. For these figures I simply mixed in some Victrix Germans -- but while these are certainly hairy the look just, at least to my mind, doesn't seem right. The other modifications are adding sandals in green stuff to two of the figures, and adding tzitizit to three.




Green Stuff Sandals and String Tzitzit


I chose to space these figures widely to suit open order skirmishers and the room needed to use a sling (good article on this subject in the current SoA Slingshot btw).


Smooth Faced Seem OK ...


... But Hairy Guys Maybe Less So?

Although they are neat looking heads!





One thing I deliberately did was keep the Tzitzit clean and not muss them up with washes, I also added some colour detail too. I think this helps this detail pop and also adds a subtle, but important, nuance.





Finally I'm beginning to play about with adding some more scatter to my bases, a but of effort to make the pieces (and break a pilum realistically!) but adds to the look I believe.


Abandoned by the Invaders!


Six 28mm figures makes for a simple 30 points this week with no library bonuses claimed. Next week a return to 15mm as I add to my Crusader forces.

 

Sylvain: The clothes on your figurines and the texture on your base suggest a sunny place on earth. The colors you chose bring out the warmth of the biblical land. Your scattered accessories are a very nice addition. It fills in nicely the space on your bases. Masterfully executed!

 

 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I do like starting up on my Jewish figures again and trying to get some variety in

      Delete
  2. Great looking slingers - head swaps look perfect. Know slingers are pretty nasty in Basic Impetus especially as they can fire out to longer range on a factor 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. Not sure if these will be much more than a speed bump before my romans!

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures and basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always forget how long basing takes! Especially with needing to wait for drying time at each step

      Delete
  4. Love these slingers, especially the visual interest you've placed in the basework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early days in really adding interest but I’ll keep experimenting. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Wow, great figures. The amount of thought and care you've taken on humble slingers is amazing. Love the basing with the dusty and battered scutum. Have you looked at the Victrix Rate Romans Archers and slingers? Lots of head options and other bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t thought to try and repurpose late Romans but will certainly check that out. Thanks

      Delete
  6. Love the long grass and shield on the bases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. With my main projects being both in rather arid regions I’ve not had reason to break out the static grass this time (other than on my BAOR) but it’s nice to add some interest. Although should have known it would get in the way of one of the figures 🤪

      Delete
  7. Great effort on the lowly slinger. I agree the bases are top notch and love the extras.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, really appreciate your effort with greenstuff, the conversions and generally trying to figure out where to get the needed pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. I have the techniques down quite par now. Although what I’m going to do with a box of 72 headless Germans I don’t know!

      Delete